Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Session Length

Default Breastfeeding Session Length

I have a 3 1/2 weeker who will breastfeed about 45 minutes or so per breast. I really do not mind nursing on demand but should it take 1 1/2 hours to feed him? Also, within 1 hr after he is done he is hungry again! I've had a lot of pain in my breasts so this is not helping me heal and I have no time to care for my other children.Any advice?

Default Re: Breastfeeding Session Length

in my experience that is normal. babies so young just want to feed constantly, and he also might be going through a growth spurt. see this: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/
    what kind of pain are you having?
    as for the other children, have you been wearing baby with a baby carrier? that might help to allow you to be able to do other things with the older kids and baby can still nurse or at least cuddle. lots of times LO just wanted to be near me apart from nursing and that helped her to sleep better so I could do other things. Also do you have any help during the evenings with older kids? 3 and 1/2 weeks is still so young for you too. I know its not your first time around, but you need to recover too, and its normal to just spend much of the day doing nothing but feeding the baby.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Is this pattern around the clock or does he sleep longer stretches at night? What you have described, it me, is quite common for newborns. There are some things you can, though. I understand it can be quite challenigng when looking after older kids as well. Be reassured the juggling act does get easier, though, as baby gets older. You are still in the early days right now so if you can get some help with the older kids and the household tasks in the meantime, that would be good. Newborns do often seem to nurse 'all the time'. There's also a big growth spurt at 3 weeks.

The first thing I could suggest is getting help, if you can. Don't be shy to asks friends, family and neighbors. Second is to try nursing in a sling or carrier. This may take practise and if you are having trouble, you can get in contact with a local LLL leader who can show you how. Third, you can do breast compressions, these help baby get more milk and make feedings more efficient. I can give you more detail about that if you want. 4th, with both my kids I used a swing, it was helpful when I needed a bit of time to do something else.

The one thing that stands out in your post is that you say you have pain. Pain is not normal, though. Are you talking nipple pain? It's possible your baby's latch is too shallow, causing you nipple pain and also slow feedings.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thank you for your responses! I will talk to my local lactation consultant about using a sling and tips on doing this successfully. I just feel bad for my 6yr old twins who use to have all of my doting and attention.My husband does help tremendously when he is home but he works from 7am to 7pm. I have tried to cosleep with our baby but he seems to not be able to nurse without a shield unless I help him latch and relatch when he lets go.We both sometimes snooze and wake up in a milk bath due to this. The pain I am feeling is that he is clamping down or biting me.My nurses told me that he is latching properly with his lips outward but sometimes his latch looks to me that he is just chewing away on me, not a big enough latch, and not swallowing as much as I'd like to hear.Although he is gaining weight.I get him latched on but it doesn't fail that he pulls away because he wants just the nipple.I am constantly relatching him.I've tried heat pads, shields, bacitracin, steriod cream(in case of yeast), lanosolin, and pumping to toughen me up some. Some hours I can deal with it and I think things are finally better but then other hours I am in toe curling pain. It is more in my right breast than my left.

I forgot to mention that at about 6pm he will sleep for a 3hr stretch and usually at midnight he'll sleep for another 3hr stretch. He loves to sleep in the car and today we had to travel 3 hrs away. He slept the entire way and had to be woken to feed.There is not a set schedule yet though. I just follow what he wants.

is the toe-curling pain just at latch on, or does it continue throughout the session and afterwards? its normal in the beginning to have some pain at latch if nipples are sore, but usually it subsides during the feeding. could be his mouth is just still too small and he needs to grow into the latch? if you have pain afterwards and your nipple is white after a feeding that might be something else--vasospasm. I believe thrush will give you terrible pain all of the time.

as far as pumping to toughen them up--I have never heard of such a thing. In fact unnecessary pumping might make them more sore. Is there a reason you're pumping otherwise?

it's good that you have an LC there. have you talked to her about the pain? Also I think a small amount of pain is normal in the beginning, but toe-curling pain that doesn't go away needs to be addressed.

Also its great that you're just doing what he wants now, on demand is the way to go
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Something about your post made me wonder if you are one of those moms blessed with extra-abundant supply? Some babies will clamp down or adopt a shallow latch to deal with a strong flow. There are some things that can help if this is the case.

I'm be including a few links in the next post, that helped me. The first talks about getting your nipple into the 'comfort zone'. If your nipple is in the right place, you won't have pain and you won't need to 'toughen' them up.

As you are having alot of pain, I think it would be good to see your lactation consultant some more and also get a 2nd opinion-in person. If you call your local LLL leader, they may be able to recommend someone. Nipple pain generally does get better as baby's mouth gets bigger and you get practise, but there is also alot of you can do in the meantime.

Please don't feel guilty about your older children getting less attention-they'll be OK and are at a good age to be your new 'big helpers'.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

There are few different ways to latch below. These will give you some things to try. I found the Flipple and baby-led latch both very helpful when my son was young.

COMFORT ZONE (Comfort zone explained+your baby knows how to latch)
    http://www.ameda.com/resources/video

ASYMMETRICAL LATCH (Dr Newman’s info)
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-WL

THE “FLIPPLE” LATCH (Latching technique where you fold your nipple into baby's mouth so it ends up far back)
    http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.c...atedlatch.html (animation)
    http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/grap...aching_big.jpg
    http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/grap...chment_big.jpg

THE BABY-LED LATCH (Baby latches himself on while mother helps. A relaxing position and often comfortable latch)
    http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html