Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Prescription to increase milk supply...

Exclamation Prescription to increase milk supply...

Hello -

My son is now 10 weeks old and I have been having milk production issues for quite some time now. Due to a lot of stress and depression after I had him, I gave up breastfeeding my son after about a month. Over the past couple of weeks, I have decided that I really want to provide some breast milk to my baby even if it isn't for all of his feedings as he is now mainly formula fed. I have had a lot of trouble producing milk and I'm afraid that he is so used to the bottle that he won't take to my breast. I have tried to use a nipple shield and he will latch for a minute and then he quickly gets frustrated. I am back to work and I try to pump as much as I can which is very hard with a busy job and a husband with a demanding career. When I pump, less than an ounce comes out. I have taken Fenugreek, Mothers Milk Tea, and Brewers Yeast and none of those have worked for me. Very disappointing. I mentioned my troubles and my goal and desire to have my son recieve some breast milk from me to his pediatrician and she mentioned that my ob/gyn should be able to prescribe a prescription to help me increase my milk supply. Does anyone have any information on this prescription and if it is really effective? I am getting desperate and the last thing I want to do is give up. I don't want to let my son down. Please help...

Default Re: Prescription to increase milk supply...

The prescription you will want is called domperidone. I got it from my GP. I had to take 30mg-3 times a day. It took about 2 weeks to work, but I did notice a big difference in my supply. I also used fenugreek which made a difference as well. If you are trying to increase your supply, in conjunction with the medication you will want to nurse as often as you can, becuase nothing stimulates milk production better than a baby nursing. You could try a supplemental nursing system SNS to feed your LO the formula at the nipple, then you will have the stimulation you need to tell your body to make milk, while still feeding the baby. Also continue pumping as you have been and feed the your LO that EBM with the SNS.

Here are some good links:
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25:la ctation-aid&catid=5&Itemid=17
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/adoptivebf/
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25:la ctation-aid&catid=5&Itemid=17
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14:do mperidone-getting-started-&catid=5&Itemid=17
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Usually it's Domperidone in Canada and the EU, Reglan in the USA. Domperidone is not FDA-approved and is therefore rarely prescribed and can only be sold by compounding pharmacies in the US. Either one is effective at increasing milk supply, but both have side-effects and are not appropriate for all women so you definitely want to speak to your doc before taking either one.

What sort of pump are you using and how often are you pumping? Drugs and herbs are useful when it comes to increasing supply, but in my experience nothing beats frequent and complete milk removal with a very high quality pump. Hospital-grade rental pumps are often what moms in your situation should be using.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mirka - what do you do with the fenugreek? You buy it in herb form? fresh? pills?

I have been breastfeeding for 4.5 months to my b/g twins and for the first four months, my supply has been great. However, I feel like hte last two weeks my supply has decreased quite a bit. I never feel like im getting full enough for their next feed...

My doctor here in Brasil suggests Plasil, .. im not sure if that is sold in the US.
    Mother of B/G Twins

Fenugreek can be purchased in pill form or as seed. It's almost always cheaper to buy the seed, though! The seed can be swallowed or made into a tea (put 1-2 teaspoons of seed in boiling water, allow to steep, drink tea, swallow seeds).

Goishka, are you feeding your babies on demand? Often moms mistake very normal adjustments to supply for low supply. After a mom has been nursing on demand for a long time, the following are normal:
    - rarely feeling full or engorged
    - leaking less or not at all
    - babies feed more frequently
    - babies wake at night even if they have been sleeping through
    - pump output declines
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I took the pills, and you take enough and keep taking it until your sweat and uring smell like maple syrup. It's also the same type of smell you would have if you eat a lot of curry as fenugreek is a part of curry powder.

Once your supply is up you can stop taking it, you don't have to continue taking fenugreek like a prescription. Your supply will not dip after you stop the fenugreek.

Also, I agree with mommal about the not feeling full.....totally normal once your supply is established.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love