Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: birthcontrol and breastfeeding???

Default birthcontrol and breastfeeding???

my dd is 9 mo. and i want to start taking birthcontrol again, but i dont know how it
    will affect my supply or her... does anybody take a pill while bf? i just dont want to do anything to disrupt her feeding/my supply.

audrey SAHM to 3. ds 1/03(bf 10wks/ff)dd 8/07(bf 4.5 mo./ff)dd 6/11(bf 9 mo. and
    going strong!!!

Default Re: birthcontrol and breastfeeding???

I. Have OS, and was going to take the pill to reduce my supply. The combined pill is meant to reduce supply quite dramatically in most women but the mini pill, so progesterone only, is not meant to reduce supply so dramatically. Apparently in some women it reduces supply a bit and some it increases supply. The hormones do pass in to breastmilk, but everything that I have read says that they have not been shown to be harmful to baby.

Regular birth control pills that use estrogen significantly reduce supply in many, if not most women. Thus, I would not recommend BCP, especially in the first year of breastfeeding (even if you have OS - the supply reduction caused by BCPs is more than what you would want to just tame an oversupply - it's more like what you would see if you got pregnant again, which can cause a TOTAL loss of supply even in women who previously had a very ample supply - there are other ways to deal with oversupply that don't involve hormones and are less risky). The mini-pill, which is progesterone-only, impacts supply in a much smaller percentage of women and most women can tolerate it well while breastfeeding. So that would be a much safer place to start if you are hoping to nurse through one year (or beyond).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

i tried to get my dr. to give me the mini pill because in the instructions it clearly says do not take while breastfeeding. but she gave it to me anyway and she did know i was ebf my dd. so
    when i decided @ 7 months i would ask to be put on the mini pill instead they never changed the rx over... so i was just wondering about the regular strength pill. i have never bf this long
    with any of my 3 kids and i do not want to decrease supply... we are making it,but i most definitely dont have over supply.

audrey SAHM to 3. ds 1/03 (bf 10 wks./ff) dd 8/07 (bf 4.5 mo./ff) dd 6/11 (bf 9 months and going strong!)

Yeah, I would avoid regular birth control pills. I have seen so many stories just on these forums from women who started BCP only to see their supplies plummet.

I used barrier methods during my whole time breastfeeding because I was afraid of supply issues (and I did have oversupply), but a lot of women successfully use the mini pill while breastfeeding. I've never heard any contraindications (except that it causes less dramatic supply issues in a much smaller percentage of women than the regular pill). Sadly, a lot of doctors are not well informed about breastfeeding, so you may have to do some of the research yourself and then present that to your doctor.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PPs. If you are absolutely convinced that you want to use a hormonal contraceptive, choose the mini-pill. The combination pill (estrogen-progestin) should not be used by nursing mothers. You should also avoid the Depo birth control shot, the patch, the vaginal ring, and implantable contraception like Implanon. If you want an IUD, the all-copper ParaGard is often preferable to the hormonal Mirena. Mirena, like the mini-pill, is less likely to have a negative impact on supply. However, if you choose Mirena and than have a problem, it is not immediately reversible the way the mini-pill is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you want a birth control pill, definatley the mini pill is the way to go, although I have heard some people's supply decreasing with it.

There are some other options too. For ourselves and for many we know, condoms are enough.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I've really liked the mirena and had no problems with supply. Way easier and more reliable than typical-use pill.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I just started taking the mini-pill on thursday so I will let you know if I see any change in my supply. So far everything seems the same. My EBF baby is 4 months old. I was considering the depo provara shot but heard that it's wise to try the mini-pill first because you can stop taking it if there is any reaction. But the depo you are stuck with the decision for 3 months.

Depo:

Ok ow someone who got that after the birth of her first and it immediately wrecked her supply. It didn't come back until the shot wore off.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"