Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fears

Default Fears

I have 3 girls, I nursed DD1 and DD2 for over 2 and a half years and tandem nursed in between. I am looking forward to a long nursing relationship with DD3.

Now, this is my fear, she is 5 mo, she seems to only nurse for hunger not comfort. She sucks her thumb when she gets too much milk at nap time or bed time, she even sucks her thumb in the middle of the night sometimes, instead of asking to nurse. Does this mean she will definitely self wean early? I am scared she'll get too busy to nurse once she starts solids I know I'm being very selfish here, she is my last baby and I really want to nurse her as much as I can. I know this is not about me but it makes me sad to think she'll be done too early, by hearing stories of babies who self wean before even the first year!!

Is there a way to prevent this? I obviously nurse on demand, but she is pretty independent

What do you think?

Default Re: Fears

I would think that as time goes on and she is getting more independent there are more opportunities for her to need your comfort. Like when she falls and gets a boo boo, or is scared and overwhelmed by things.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

My third was like that and nursed the longest!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I thought that Trixie might do that. She sucked her two middle fingers for a few months. But she's nursing all night long right now at 14.5 months. She does not seem like she'll be weaning anytime soon.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

DS was like that he's still nursing at 4 years!! And sucking this thumb too!!

Remember when people told me he was self-weaning at 9 months, LOL. The one thing I did do, that was important, I think, was to offer lots. I think if I hadn't done that, he would have weaned much earlier. Offer, offer, offer.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

AAAAAAH! What a relief to hear all your stories!! Thanks a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    DS was like that he's still nursing at 4 years!! And sucking this thumb too!!

Remember when people told me he was self-weaning at 9 months, LOL. The one thing I did do, that was important, I think, was to offer lots. I think if I hadn't done that, he would have weaned much earlier. Offer, offer, offer.
    I offered more than DD1 asked for, a lot to DD2 but I'm so, so busy with 3 girls and no help right now that I feel I'm not offering as much as I should :S

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lasbi.modeu View Post
    AAAAAAH! What a relief to hear all your stories!! Thanks a lot!!

I offered more than DD1 asked for, a lot to DD2 but I'm so, so busy with 3 girls and no help right now that I feel I'm not offering as much as I should :S
    My son absolutely refused to comfort nurse until he was over a year old. I had significant OALD, and as an infant he would guzzle down his milk and he was done. Period. He's 17 months old now and he's nursing like he's 17 days old. He's working on a bunch of new words and he's even getting a sentence out now, and I swear he would stay latched all day and night if I let him.

I don't offer at all. He asks to nurse. I did need to offer for a stretch between 13-14 months because he was too busy to ask, but he would always let me know he needed to nurse by getting super fussy. It wasn't something that would have gone unnoticed. I don't think that neglecting to offer frequently will necessarily preclude comfort nursing in the future. It certainly has not been a problem for us.