Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old refusing to nurse

Default 8 month old refusing to nurse

I really hope you ladies can help as I'm getting a little bit desperate. My 8month old dd has dramatically dropped feeds. She hardly nursed yesterday. She is usually good through the night and nurses really well. but last night she hardly fed. Same again today she's hardly spent 2 minutes nursing. I've just given her 6oz of expressed milk in a bottle and she's taken the lot, she even cried for more so I put her to the breast but she just refused. I keep trying her but don't know what else to do. I can't express enough to keep giving her bottles. Otherwise she seems fine, lots of wet nappies although no dirty ones since the day before yesterday.

Default Re: 8 month old refusing to nurse

Do you think she might be teething? A lot of LOs will refuse nursing when teething. Taking the bottle is easier for LO because they do not have to suck as much (the sucking is what causes the discomfort). I would try giving teething tablets, and a teething ring before attempting to nurse.
    Sunny
    BF'g my son since birth, May '11. I proudly practice peaceful/attached parenting

I think she is teething she's doing a high pitched cry and she has rosy red cheeks at times. I've been putting teething gel on before feeding and using teething granules. I could bottle feed for a couple of days as I have a small supply in the freezer, but I struggle to express in place of it as she's quite clingy and doesn't like to be put down much.

I would probably not do the bottles. You could end up with a baby who refuses to nurse entirely and then you will be stuck pumping or giving formula.

Have you thought about taking her to the doctor? That sounds like more than teething to me, especially the high pitched cry. The only time either of my girls refused to nurse was with an ear infection and they can get those sometimes without fevers.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I didn't have quite as much trouble as you, but my DS didn't nurse well at ALL from about months 8 to 9... and now (at 10 months) he's nursing well again. I had heard that babies go on a nursing strike around this time (month 8 or so) but if you can SOMEhow stick it out (pump, nurse for 2 minutes at a time, whatever) then she will maybe pull through in a month or so? Good luck!
    Mom to Austin (6.9.11)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you thought about taking her to the doctor? That sounds like more than teething to me, especially the high pitched cry
    And the rosy red cheeks. Both Scarlet Fever and Fifth Disease can exhibit a cheek rash- in Fifth, it is said to look like a "slapped cheek".
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well last night she fed really well, and this morning she fed too. She did have an ear infection a couple of weeks ago and was on antibiotics. I might take her back to the doctors just to make sure it's cleared. Thanks for the advice ladies, I'm not going to give her bottles as I really don't want to go down that route. I'll let you know how it goes at the docs.