Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nutritive and non nutritive sucking

Default Re: Nutritive and non nutritive sucking

IME, cold cabbage leaves really do provide some relief. Maybe it was just in my head, but I don't think so. Mint tea is supposed to help a little too. Sage tea would be a more extreme measure, but if you have that much OS, I doubt a cup here or there would dry you up too much.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jah73 View Post
    Yes I am taking loads of peppermint and sage. Have been using cabbage leaves and cold compresses. How did you stretch out to 2 feeds per side?
    I don't know. I just did. I fed on the right side for two feedings in a row and then on the left side for two feedings in a row, but my younger baby would go 3 hours sometimes between feedings and it would be too long for each side. So then I started timing it. I fed for 3 hours (I think?) on one side and then switched to the other. But then that got to be too much trouble to pay attention to the clock and I fed alternating sides.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

When I get that bad, I feed DD on 1 side until comfortable (maybe 2 feedings). If I do get uncomfortably full on the other side, I will pump (versus hand express), just because it's faster and because to be comfortable and "unengorge" my boob I have to get quite a bit of milk out. That's why the milk I get out when I relieve my boob between feedings and to avoid mastitis, I started donating. I get anywhere from 3-5oz just trying to get my boob to feel "normal".
    If baby is eating on one side (for the second time) and it feels soft, and the other is getting really full between feedings, and DD2 is still wanting to suckle to eat, I'll switch her to the full side.
    If she falls asleep, or want to suckle to nap, on the side that's getting empty, I'll pump the full side to comfortable status, as if she had fed a little, then feed her 1 more time on the side she fell asleep on before switching. I know it's confusing. I honestly don't pay attention anymore. I'll try to journal it to give you an example Especially right now because DD2 is going through a growth spurt and is sending my supply for a whirl.
    I did reply to your other post, BTW.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    When I get that bad, I feed DD on 1 side until comfortable (maybe 2 feedings). If I do get uncomfortably full on the other side, I will pump (versus hand express), just because it's faster and because to be comfortable and "unengorge" my boob I have to get quite a bit of milk out. That's why the milk I get out when I relieve my boob between feedings and to avoid mastitis, I started donating. I get anywhere from 3-5oz just trying to get my boob to feel "normal".
    For women with OS, the pump can really exacerbate matters, and you can become "addicted" to it (it sounds like you might have this problem!). Block feeding, and suffering through some "fullness" while your'e doing it (not letting it get to the rock-hard and painful engorged point) will actually decrease your supply, relieving the need for pumping ... eventually, anyway. It can be a long process. I had oversupply AND was prone to mastitis/clogged ducts, and it was a VERY FINE LINE to walk.

Growth spurts are an OS mom's friend. I don't think I could have gotten through my OS issues all on my own, especially after I made them a ton worse by pumping all the time. But as Joe got bigger and wanted more, I was able to nurse him, rather than pump, and things started to even out.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    For women with OS, the pump can really exacerbate matters, and you can become "addicted" to it (it sounds like you might have this problem!). Block feeding, and suffering through some "fullness" while your'e doing it (not letting it get to the rock-hard and painful engorged point) will actually decrease your supply, relieving the need for pumping ... eventually, anyway. It can be a long process. I had oversupply AND was prone to mastitis/clogged ducts, and it was a VERY FINE LINE to walk.

Growth spurts are an OS mom's friend. I don't think I could have gotten through my OS issues all on my own, especially after I made them a ton worse by pumping all the time. But as Joe got bigger and wanted more, I was able to nurse him, rather than pump, and things started to even out.
    Trust me, no pumping addiction here I hesitate to pump because I'm afraid of making it worse, but if I pump vs. hand express, I'm able to save the milk for donation and because from hand expressing/squeezing I end up damaging my ducts, leading to clogged ducts, then mastitis. If I don't relieve as soon as possible, I do get rock hard, which sometimes I do tolerate if DD2 is going to feed off that side soon. But if I start feeling weird (in my armpits, or pain), and DD2 just finished eating off the other side (and won't be feeding for a while) I'm off to pump It is definitely a very fine line.
    Growth spurts are my worst enemy because I can't keep up and stay ahead of clogged ducts/mastitis, which is when I resort to eating my Altoids and stashing for donation.
    OS is such a pain
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...