Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She latched! She latched!!

Default She latched! She latched!!

She nursed until my milk letdown and she was awake! But then she bit me and popped off. And I didn't react to the biting. So hard!! I'm guessing she bit to slow down the flow...??

She was alert. She had just woken up and I offered. It was in my dimly lit bedroom and with the sound machine going, but she was alert. she had been playing in co-sleeper quietly.

After she stopped nursing, she let me continue to hold her in a semi-cradle position while I squirted milk into her mouth and made funny noises.

I guess my letdown is still just too much. I don't think it's OS anymore tho. Just OALD. :/

Default Re: She latched! She latched!!

Yea!! I know about the oald too.. Hope to see more happy posts!

Good news! Yes you can have a strong letdown without OS. She will get use to it and getting her to latch at all is a great start.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

yay!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Hooray! Every step is something!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I can't figure her out tho. She latches and sucks really fast and quick and if my milk doesn't letdown almost immediately, she pops off, but when it does let down, she pops off then too.

have you tried distracting her to keep her from popping off? maybe singing or humming or telling her a story
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

One atep at a time! So glad she latched for you!

I had OS and OALD early on, and my daughter would clamp down or pop off sometimes because it was just too much for her. I don't have any tricks to share, but just know that it can get better!
    Mom to amazing twins! Both nursed happily until 3y6m.

my babe is doing that too! i think they are about the same age (he was born 11/13). he gets soooo distracted it seems like right now and is hardly nursing during the day. he nurses 3-4 times which includes a sort of peaceful nurse an hour after getting up and his just before bed nurse, which also tends to be easier. his middle of the day nurses are really challenging cause i think he is hungry so i offer and he does that pop on and off thing a million offers then after maybe an hour or two he will seem beyond hungry and nurse.
    does she seem to be in less pain?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    have you tried distracting her to keep her from popping off? maybe singing or humming or telling her a story
    No, I'm too afraid to speak when she's nursing. I'll try that tho.