Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're not getting any sleep!

Unhappy We're not getting any sleep!

Hi all,
    My 11 1/2 week old nurses at 11:00PM, then wakes up every 2 hrs after that. Sometimes it's every hour and a half! She's been doing this for over a couple of weeks. She only did a 4-5 hour stretch a hand full of times. I wish it were just a growth spurt, but don't think it is.

We do co-sleep with her. I try not to feed her when she squirms and makes noise, but then she really starts to cry and I nurse her in bed. Most of the time I can't fall back to sleep because of the frequent waking up and I just lay in bed trying. My husband and I are so tired. I have to be doing something wrong because it's been going on so long!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    Bella

Default Re: We're not getting any sleep!

I wonder if going ahead and feeding her when she starts squirming might help? She might essentially do a dream feed, instead of fully waking, and then not going back to sleep.

Totally agree with pp. we cosleep and when my LO starts squirming, if I can get a boob in his mouth right then, he'll dream nurse without waking. If i wait too long he wakes himself up. It is hard to learn to sleep nurse. I found a good pillow support fr my back was key, si I could really relax my body as much as possible. Eventually i got better atit so that now i onky half wake up, to sitch sides. That said - waking up that often sounds pretty normal at that age. Which doesn't make it more fun! But you're not doing anything wrong! And it will get easier.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree with PP about feeding her as soon as she squirms. My DD did the same thing at that age and at 7 months only sleeps 4 to 5 hour stretches at most. I don't know if this is helpful or what you want to hear, but I had a hard time cosleeping at first but then got my pillow arrangement down and acclimated to it more, and now I sleep pretty well.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

My DS does this...and he's 19 months old. Really, he still wakes up every 2-3 hours to nurse. Since he was born, I've only had 2 nights where he's slept a stretch of 5+ hours at one time...sometimes he'll get into a pattern of 3-4 hour stretches and that feels like heaven! I'm not saying this to freak you out or anything, but I have become a lot more accostomed to lack of sleep and to figuring out how to nurse at night so that there's the least disruption of sleep for everyone. At your daughter's age, it is so normal for her to wake up that often to eat.

Also, I found that using white noise really helped both of us sleep better. I always thought it was kind of weird before, but it really works! You can get free phone apps with lots of options.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My previous son woke up every 2 hours until he was 18 months. Co-sleeping was the only way I survived, especially as I work Full-time. I agree with PP, feed him right away, don't wait until he cries and really wakes up. Also try to nap during the day while he sleeps. I have the "Leech" body pillow, it supoorts my back so that I can do side lying position to nurse and keeps me confortable.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Your baby waking frequently is not a sign you doing something wrong. Your baby’s sleep pattern in entirely normal. The expectation that a baby this age “should” sleep many hours in a row at night at this age is incorrect. Some do, some don’t. So if someone is telling you that you are doing something wrong, they are simply incorrect.

Babies have a biological need to be fed frequently at night and also to wake frequently at night anyway, and need to be comforted back to sleep for many months. "Sleeping through the night" is defined as a single, 5 hour stretch and while this may occur in some babies, on some nights, as early as 3 months of age, this does not occur for many babies until they are around 5 or 6 months old or even older.

So that you and your husband can get more sleep, and to encourage baby to sleep a bit more, I think the suggestion to nurse your baby at the earliest cues is a good one. Nurse baby at first squirm and baby may not fully wake at all. Certainly it cannot hurt baby to attempt to comfort them at this point, and nursing is usually the most effective means of comfort. This will also hopefully allow you and your husband to get back to sleep more quickly. (In fact there is no reason for your husband to wake at all unless you want him to!) If you can nurse in a sidelying position or in a laid back position you may start to find you barely wake up yourself. This is also why many moms find naps necessary for survival in the early months.
    This organization does a good job explaining about what the current research says about normal infant sleep patterns: http://www.isisonline.org.uk/

When my little guy (9 wks) is having a rough time sleeping we cosleep. I let him nurse until he falls asleep and then tuck his pacifier between my breast and him so that he doesn't notice the switch off from the breast. This usually gets me an extra hour or two before he wants to eat again. However he usually only wakes up once a night when he isn't under the weather so it may not be too helpful if your loved one isn't quite to the through the night level of sleep yet.

Thanks all! I really appreciate the help. Hippe, I will try the pacifier trick. She doesn't take the pacifier well though. She keeps spitting it out! My other daughter who's 22 months loves hers and still sleeps with one.

My 3 month old does have a slight cold right now, maybe that's it too?

I love cosleeping with her but at the same time I would like to spread out and sleep however I'd like. My husband is beginning to want his bed back. I think I can do this until she begins to sleep a bit longer.

Question, the only position to sleep in is the side-lying, correct? I'm afraid I'll bump into the baby if I'm not facing her. Also, how do you switch sides when you nurse? Obviously I can't nurse on one side the entire night because the other side will get engorged. So me switching sides keeps me up.

My pediatrician said I should try and move her to another room. He said she can smell and hear me so it's making her nurse more often, Especially with her food right in her face. I found that when I moved my 1st daughter to her crib at 4 months she did sleep longer. However, this baby is so different.

She woke-up every hour and a half again last night. I side lye-with her and nursed her as soon as she squirmed. But she can't find the nipple well so I need to help her. Sometimes I fell back asleep and one time I couldn't. I'm hoping this won't continue throughtout the year because honestly, I'll go nuts.

Thanks again.