Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: purchasing a breastpump

Default purchasing a breastpump

Good morning!
    So ive been doing lots of reasearch on breastpumps. I will be going back to work in 4 weeks. So far Ive seen prices fluctuate, read good and bad reviews on different pumps, identified closed and open motors.uand have narrowred them down to three: medela,purely yours and lansinoh affiinity. Medela is the most popular one, but would certainly put a strain on my budget. The other two are within range. I used the ameda hospital breast pump and still have all the extra parts which i could use with the purely yours model. Ive also seen them for a fraction of the cost on craigslist, but used. Any input or recommendations?
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven

Default Re: purchasing a breastpump

This site has discounted medela pumps.

how often will you be pumping.

i would recommend a medela PIS if you are planning on using it regularly. I paid $219 and it was a great deal. it is 100% worth it! you get the pump, the basic parts, a battery pack, a cooler pack and the ice pack.

i did buy a bigger size set of horns because i needed it.

also, i highly recommend getting the simple wishes pumping bra. it makes pumping so much easier and you are able to do compressions to help get more milk out. yesterday i forgot my bra at home at i was so annoyed.

hth

I have an Ameda Purely Yours, and it has worked out just fine for me. I only work 3 days a week, but I've been successfully using it for 17 months.

Pumping bra! Hands-free pumping is the way to go. I jerry-rigged something for myself, but I'm pretty small chested. I've heard great things about the Simple Wishes bra.

I have the Purely yours. I used it with my previous son 2 1/2 years ago for a whole year, then my sister used it for 6 months and I used it again with my current baby. I work in a hospital and they have a "Lactation" room with the hospital grade pump, I only need to bring my attachments. The hands free bra is a must for me, it allows me to work while I pump. I've heard people making the bra out of a sports bra, worth trying it out. Good luck
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Used breast pumps are an issue because these are personal use pumps that are not designed to be used for more than about a year by a mom who is pumping about 2-3 times a day. In other words, with a used pump, especially if there is no way for your to know HOW used it is, the risk is that parts wear out, the motor goes wonky, and this mechanical failure is slow and subtle and not at all obvious. Then when mom is not able to pump enough milk she becomes sure the issue is her milk supply and/or, the pump not working correctly actually DOES cause an issue with milk supply. Poorly running pumps can also cause soreness and injure moms. This is not just a random warning I have seen this happen time and time again when moms are pumping, esp. with used pumps. So if you do get a used pump, remember that output issues can be due to the pump malfunctioning. (Even with new pumps this can happen but it is more likely to happen with used pumps.) Also if buying a used pump make sure that the model/lot has not been subject to a manufacturers recall.

There is also the potential risk with most consumer grade pumps of your milk coming into contact with mold or bacteria or viruses from leftover milk/other bodily fluids/wash water of the former user. There is a large difference of opinion on how much of a risk this actually is, but, just fyi.

Personally if I were buying a new pump I would call customer service AND visit the websites for the various companies and compare responsiveness, knowledge, wait times, trouble shooting info, etc. I would see if I could easily get replacement parts and different sized flanges as needed. Some pumps are 'exclusive' with flanges and some pumps you can use the flanges of other brands.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; April 7th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

The Purely Yours is a good pump. The Affinity is Pk but more designed for a mom pumping a few times a week. The Medela seem to be popular, but they are not the best pump. There is no best pump.

And there are others that are less popular but just as good as the big 3 (Ameda, Lansinoh and Medela). Look at the Bailey and Hygiea pumps. I have a Limerick (purchased used, as it is a hospital grade pump, and it is in the shop right now, so with Meg on used pumps. Don't if you can avoid it at all costs!). Avoid pumps like the Playtex, First Years, Evenflo, as those are not meant for pumping 2-3 times a day 5 days a week.

Most pumps are meant for about 400 hours of pumping, or about 12 months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a Hygeia. I did a lot of research before buying. I would check them out like susan said (she actually told me to check them out or else i would have never known about them) but would also recommend Ameda PY after all my research. But decided on Hygeia due to it's 3 year warrantee and 3 week return policy which is unknown of with any other pump and company. I think it works well now--quick and efficient-- but only pump about once every other day to build up stash and due to slight oversupply during the night depending on if he wakes up to eat or not. I've only owned it for about a month. And won't go back to work for another two weeks. So I'll let your know how it goes with that if your still in the market for one.
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

Thank you all for your input! Just ordered Ameda's Purely Yours!
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven