Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth spurt causing engorgement?

Default growth spurt causing engorgement?

wondering if this happens? i think my son (5 weeks, 3 days) had a growth spurt yesterday (past 2 days, really). he was very fussy and nursed a ton. today, my one breast is very engorged. i'm still nursing as normal on it (i nurse one side at a time, every 2 hours max. normally more like 1 and a half hours). should i double up on that side to relieve it? i feel like he latches on, but has to pop off so much due to the letdown. i joked with my husband that it is like a water fountain that my son just laps up instead of needing to work for it! it's kind of painful right now...so wondering what to do. it's like my milk just came in again! ouch!
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: growth spurt causing engorgement?

I dont know if I would do much to relieve it, other than enough to relieve pain, as you risk prolonging the overproduction. Feed baby some is happy and you are relatively comfortable. But yes, a growth spurt might leave you a bit fuller in the days after.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!