Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bummed about my milk supply

Default Re: Bummed about my milk supply

Wait. I see it now. So is that 6-8 diapers in a cycle of like 7am to 7pm? Or 6-8 diapers in a cycle from 7am- 7am? Because the latter is the cycle we want to look at? And has it changed?

Way too lazy for formula

Are you counting those 2 poopy diapers as part of the diaper output, or are you assuming there's no pee in them? If baby makes 4-6 wets (meaning diapers that only have pee in them) plus 2 poops in a 24 hour period, he's getting enough to eat and the fussiness is just normal fussiness. Teething, ear infection, impatience, tiredness.

Many times mamas mistake some or all of the following for low supply:
    - fussiness
    - no longer feeling engorged or full
    - leaking diminishes or vanishes
    - pump output lessens
    - letdown takes longer
    - baby requires 2 breasts even though he used to nurse on just one

I don't mean to give you a hard time, or to seem like I doubt the truth of your experience. It's just that when it comes to low supply and an older baby, we see too many mamas coming here in a panic, thinking their milk has dried up when they are actually experiencing normal adjustments to supply.

One thing you might want to consider is the Mirena. Yes, you've used it trouble-free up to now, but I have heard moms say that it prevented them from being able to increase supply when necessary. Anecdotal reports, but still...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thats very encourging djs.mom! Thanks!! I will do an updated count over the next 48 hours of his wet and soiled diapers and give an update.
    Like most new moms I am still figuring things out, especially breastfeeding. I know breastfeeding in not a one size fits all kind of thing either! I just want to make sure that I am not depriving my son of all that he needs in a day!

You are right mommal. I may be up in a tizzy for nothing, and I can handle that By no means are you giving me a hard time. I am open to all questions, suggestions and doubts. It can only help me in the process of elimination to my "problem" if there is one! I thank everyone of you for responding to this thread!