Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clinicals and new baby

Default Clinicals and new baby

Hey! I am new to this and am still pregnant. I am needing some advice because I am very set on breastfeeding once the baby is born, but when the baby is 4 months old I will be having to go back to do clinicals(8 hours a day, 4 days a week). I would prefer not to have to supplement with formula, but I dont know how it is going to work. Any advice for preplanning would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Clinicals and new baby

Will you be able to take a few minutes here and there during your clinicals to pump breastmilk? If you can squeeze two to three pumpings in, it really shouldn't be a problem. Pumping only takes 20 minutes or, and even shorter pumping sessions are better than nothing. You'll just need a place to do it, and a breast pump.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Pumping.

There are ladies here who are doctors, nurses, veterinarians, and other medical professionals. We manage to pump often enough to feed our kids and maintain a supply.

You will need a good double electric pump with horns that fit you. Plan to spend anywhere from $150 on up. Or check with your employer; some hospitals and offices provide hospital grade pumps, and all you will need is a kit, unless you plan to pump in the car or at home.

A hands free bra lets you get a lot done while pumping. I did a lot of call backs while pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Welcome!
    Where are you doing your clinicals? you may want to call them and see if they have a "Lactation" room. We have one at the hospital I work for and it has a hospital grade pump (Ameda), I only need to bring my attachments. Some people pump in the car on the way to and from work, depending how far you will be from home.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas