Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recurring clogged duct---in the same duct

Default Recurring clogged duct---in the same duct

I've had about 9 clogged milk ducts in the past 3 months. It ALWAYS happens in the same duct. DD is 7 months old. She is my third BF child and this has never happened to me before.

Default Re: Recurring clogged duct---in the same duct

Ugh. That sucks. I had a clogged ducts, usually on the same breast and often in the same area, too. Supposedly taking lecithin can help with clogs? (I did it, but I can't say for sure if it worked since most women get less clogs as time goes by anyway, but it couldn't hurt.)

One thing that can cause clogs to recur in the same spot is pressure from a bra, baby carrier, purse, etc. I'd think really carefully about whether that spot is being compressed by something you are wearing or using in your everyday life, and maybe try making some adjustments. It could be that an ill-fitting underwire bra is to blame, especially if it's near your armpits (common).

Otherwise, you know the area that causes problems, so I would just recommend you be very vigilant, massage that area every day in the shower and while nursing/pumping, to make sure things keep flowing there. You may find that some nursing positions "empty" that area better than others - experiment, and don't just let it slide! I was very prone to clogs and what really decreased their frequency for me was just being very vigilant about any first symptoms of tenderness or issues and acting on them immediately.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks JoMo! I have been so nervous that maybe I have some kind of tumor (that's what I get for looking too in-depth on the internet). I am going to try some lethicin and see if it works. Will I always be prone to clogging on that same duct for the remaining time I will be nursing? Do you think something is stuck in there?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsrags View Post
    Thanks JoMo! I have been so nervous that maybe I have some kind of tumor (that's what I get for looking too in-depth on the internet). I am going to try some lethicin and see if it works. Will I always be prone to clogging on that same duct for the remaining time I will be nursing? Do you think something is stuck in there?
    It may comfort you to know that breast cancer is usually painless. In fact, a lump that doesn't hurt worries doctors more than one that does. Clogged ducts are usually tender and painful.

I think many of us do have "problem areas" but if you're like most women, you will suffer from far less clogs as time goes on. I still occasionally got tender spots when Joe was a year old (though they were pretty uncommon by then) but then went on to nurse for another year and a half without so much as a peep from any of my troublesome areas. Clogs tend to be more common for women with oversupply - once you get that under control and you're nursing less frequently, they usually mostly go away. Of course, you can never let your guard down completely, and small changes in your child's nursing habits (they get sick and nurse less, or your pump needs new parts, etc.) can cause a clog to reoccur. So just keep an eye on it, but I doubt you'll be worried about this for the whole rest of your nursing career (assuming you nurse past a year).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.