Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Have Mastitis: Really need support & encouragement

Default Re: Have Mastitis: Really need support & encouragement

I just wanted to send you some good healing vibes and well wishes. I read through from the first page and think you are amazing.
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together

Call infant risk right away. A counselor there can tell you what the concerns are given the medication, dose, your child's age, and weight. They are really really helpful and really supportive. They will tell you whether the medication is safe, and what side effects to watch for in your child. The founder of infant risk wrote the textbook on medication use while breastfeeding.

I just thought of probiotics. R u taking one? With the antibiotics it may be a good idea to help avoid thrush. You can get them at the local drug store and they are perfectly healthy to take while BF
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

My LC recommended Probiotics and Lecithin - but when I went online to purchase them... it turns out there are a dozen types and kinds??? She didn't specify a specific brand, so I'm a bit lost. I was told (at the vitamin place), that taking the wrong kind of Probiotics will not be beneficial to me? What kind do you guys take? Is it really safe to continue breastfeeding while taking all these extra pills? They always tell you to eat more nutritious foods and drink healthy juices, because the baby will taste it in your breastmilk. How is it the food we eat will enter our breastmilk, but not the medicine? I find it very confusing...

Update on what's happening so far!

A trip to the breast surgeon last week was positive. He said things were coming along nicely and prescribed some more antibiotics. There's still a gaping hole in my breast, but I've noticed the leakage is now pure white and no longer tinged with the yellow pus/yucky stuff from last week. My LC said the "warm wetness" is good for the body and told me not to worry about the incision. After a weekend of pumping and constantly changing the bandages, I think it's looking a lot better. I have another visit with my docter this Thursday and I'm really hoping he'll give me the okay to start breastfeeding again. Pumping, although quick, is exhuasting and not as comfortable as having my daughter close in my arms.

Meanwhile, since I've been dumping my breastmilk (per doc's orders)... my daughter has become a fussy monster. She hates drinking forumula exclusively and keeps rejecting the bottle when it is offered to her. At the same time, I think she's become a bit constipated - crying and almost screaming for 10-15 minutes while she is trying to poop. It's become so painful to watch; DH would pace himself into a panic attack, while he holds her and tries to calm her down. I've taken her to the peditrician and showed him photos of her poopy diapers. He mentioned that 8+ poops a day did seemed excessive and recommended switching to Enfamil Sensitive for a few days.

*sigh*

I've been told it was perfectly alright to breastfeed while taking the prescribed medication... but my MIL is a bit worried about the side effects. As mentioned before, she was the one who told me how our breastmilk is "what we eat." Since I only have to take the medication for 5 days (only 2 more days left now), I simply pumped/dump to be on the safe side. Let's just say, the entire family will be a lot more relaxed once we go back to our established routine. I feel terrible watching my daughter drink forumula and suffering through it! It's all my fault for getting Mastitis and feel awful for making the whole family suffer alongside (lack of sleep, constant worry for baby or me, etc.)
    Proud of Baby

Mama, I strongly suggest that you tell your MIL to stop sticking her nose into your business. Her incorrect advice is derailing breastfeeding for you and making you and your baby miserable.

Breastmilk is not "what we eat". It is possible for a mom to live and chips and soda pop and still produce healthy milk for her baby- the mom's body will just dip into her reserves to make up any nutritional deficits. In an ideal world everyone would eat an ideal diet, but it is not necessary to adhere to a perfect diet while breastfeeding! It drives me literally INSANE when I see a mom giving up on breastfeeding because she can't maintain an unrealistic dietary standard.

If you have been advised that breastfeeding while on an antibiotic or other medication is safe, then it almost certainly is. Doctors tend to know very little about breastfeeding and often err on the extreme side of caution, advising mom to pump and dump even when it is completely unnecessary. Call Infant Risk. If they say the medication is safe for nursing, it is. Yes, the medication may well come through in some small amount in your milk, but that's not a big deal since babies can usually take the medication directly in a much larger dose.

Please put your baby back to the breast and tell yor MIL to mind her own business! Parenting issues do not stop with breastfeeding. At some point you will have to draw a line in the sand and establish the fact that YOU are the mommy and therefore YOU make the decisions. I know that can be really hard, but it has to be done!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with Mommal it is time to tell your MIL to keep her opinion to herself unless you ask for it. You are the mom and your instincts are right you are letting her bully you and that is not fair to you or to your baby. You are the mama you get to make the decisions.

As for the Probiotics I have not taken one. It was suggested to me we got thrush from antibiotics. I need to get some and start taking them regularly.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Update on Mastitis/Family Situation

Hi Ladies!! Another week has gone by and I'm happy to say things are finally starting to look positive! The breast surgeon said everything looked much better and I no longer needed to take antibiotics. Prior to meeting him, I've spoken to my LC and she had assured me the medication I was taking would not affect my breastmilk... so I simply hid the medication by my side drawer to secretly take and told my family that I finished the pills and could breastfeed once more. I figured this was a easier win-win solution to everything - I knew I could breastfeed and my daughter was happy. My family (especially my MIL - who is a sweet and wonderful woman who has been helping me out at home) doesn't get worried about the baby drinking "contaminated breastmilk" or upset I was not taking her advice. We all know it's not "contaminated breastmilk" - but that's face it - she's had 50+ years to formulate that opinion. I simply don't think I can change her mind in a week and not alienate her feelings at the same time. Since I rely on her help quite heavily, I thought this would be a great alternative to make everyone (including myself) happy.

For other mother's who are facing similar dilemna's, perhaps you can consider this solution. You could always claim they are "vitamins" as well - this is what I called the probiotics and Lecithin pills I've started taking yesturday- which is TRUE so I'm not lying!!

As for SIL, well... I think my husband and MIL talked to her. Since the incision is also healing (and I'm not in visible pain), she hasn't voiced anymore opinions to me outloud. It's also almost 3 months since I've started breastfeeding, and by now, I think they've all accepted the fact that I'm going to stick with the plan, hahahah

MIL has also (surprisingly) helped a great deal and now supports breastfeeding. As I mentioned in last week's update, when we switched my daughter to forumula only - she has been doing poorly. She would scream/cry non-stop when she's trying to poop... and there were days when she would have excessive 8+ bowel movements, and somedays she would have none! After I hid the pills and started breastfeeding again, the problems almost magically disappeared within a day. Just this alone, convinced MIL that I should continue pumping/breastfeeding until my daughter was older. I think I've heard her mention this to SIL a few times, so perhaps that's what helped stopped all the negate vibes I had earlier.

We'll just have to take this one-step at a time - so far this week has been more positive then before!

As for the incision on my breast - it's slowly starting to heal and no longer a gaping hole (it's a small hole instead, heheheh). Milk still leaks from that area, but it thankfully hasn't hindered the healing process. Hopefully, within the next 2 weeks, it will close up completely and I no longer have to walk around with paper towels stuffed in my bra! Since I'm in the healing stages, I noticed the gauze pads were a terrible idea - sometimes they stick to the tender flesh and when I pull it off... OUCH! Paper towels don't rip and they can soak up a lot of fluids.

I've been trying to pump/feed less often, to combat my oversupply as well. Instead of stimulating my breasts every 2 hours, it has now been extended to almost 3-4 hours. I just have to be extremely careful, since I'm still prone to plugged ducts. I slept on my right side the other night (instead of my usual back) and actually woke up with my right breast with several plugged ducts. After an aggressive (and painful) day of pumping/massaging, it has soften up a lot. It's my first day taking Lecithin as well - and I see improvements already. Perhaps I can use this time period to stock up with as much breastmilk and hopefully my production doesn't drop too drastically.

Those who are pumping at work - I hope this helps as a reminder to pump as often as you can! Engorgement and plugged ducts is painful, but Mastitis/abscess is even worse. It's almost a month since everything happened and I'm only begun to start healing... so it's really not worth waiting that extra hour before pumping. That's all it takes - one missed session! Even today, despite not needing painkillers, there are times when my chest still hurts and I find myself rubbing my breast in public Thankfully I don't think strangers have noticed hahahaha!
    Proud of Baby

I'm so glad things are looking up! And I like your creative solution to the MIL issue. Very clever.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm so glad things are looking up!!! Yeah, probiotics (and I think any type of acidophilus is good when you're on antibiotics, and the idea that only one type will work is bogus - but, you can get "mixes" and they may be the best course) and lecithin ARE vitamins! And completely harmless - to the extent they go through your milk, they are GOOD for your baby. Ditto with antibiotics. Babies need antibiotics for infections all the time, and can handle much larger doses than they would ever get through your milk. There are a couple types of antibiotics that are not recommended for breastfeeding, but you weren't on any of those. So you're doing GREAT! In a way, it's good that formula didn't agree with your daughter (as sad as that was!), because now your family sounds a lot more supportive of you breastfeeding! Win!

Hang in there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Ugh! Plugged ducts again and it doesn't seem to want to go away. I was getting the hang of pumping at work - but I know this weekend I have a lot of overtime and will be outdoors for 4+ hours at a time. I don't know how I'm going to survive this weekend without getting into severe trouble again. I'm so tired of this vicious cycle!!
    Proud of Baby