Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking...getting frustrated

Default Leaking...getting frustrated

My daughter will be 10 weeks old on Tues (wow how time flies). I went back to work this past Mon (I only work 3 days a week).
    I've always had a problem with leaking. If its getting close to the time my daughter usually eats I feel the let down, and if I even think about breastfeeding I start to leak. Any kind of stimulation will bring it on too. i.e my clothes rubbing on my nipples, accidently brushing my breasts with my arm, this is getting uncomfortable at work (I pump 4 times while I'm there) but it also gets uncomfortable at home too because I feel like I'm going through shirts like mad. I do use cotton pads, and while I don't soak through them I definitly wet them and then have to change...again.
    Any advice? will this eventually regulate itself?
    Also My daughter has been going to sleep at 7:30p(she eats between 6p and 6:30) and usually sleeps until 12:00a or 1a. I usually pump around 8p because otherwise I'll soak myself in the night. I've read that I'm only supposed to pump to get comfortable but if I don't pump all the way I still leak.
    The leaking is just getting uncomfotable and I'm wondering what I can do to help it along.
    Thanks
    Sarah

Default Re: Leaking...getting frustrated

If you're a "leaky" mom, 10 weeks is a little early to expect the leaking to taper off. My experiences with leaking were that the first 3 months were super-leaky, and then I would continue to leak more erratically until around 6 months.

You might want to try the less natural pads. They're like disposable diapers for your nipples- they have that same gel stuff inside, and it really sops up leaks. I know it's a horrible factory-made polymer and not a nice, natural fabric, but I found that it was unbeatable at containing leaking milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with Mommal. I really wanted to avoid disposables, but they are a lifesaver. I was putting 2 organic cotton pads (to double layer) in each side and still having to change my shirt every hour or so. The disposables add to the landfill, but all that laundry was wasteful and bad for the environment too. Just be sure to give your breasts some air time. The material in the disposables blocks all air circulation.

I have a sensitive let down just like you. I let down at the drop of a hat. I use the reusable cloth pads from www.bosombliss.com and I love them and never leak through them. I'm one of those moms that leak all throughout breastfeeding. I leaked right up until A1 weaned. But most stop after about 3 months. You'll just have to see. But I'd definitely invest (not a big investment lol) on some of those breastpads. They are much more comfortable than the disposables. I finally got them so I could stop buying boxes and boxes of the other. Good luck!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Sympathies from a fellow "leaky" mom. For me, the intense leaking lasted until about four months (sorry!) and then only very slowly started to taper off. By the time my baby was taking in solids, it got a lot better and I didn't leak all over myself every night. Like you, just thinking about nursing would make the milk flow.

For overproducers like ourselves, silicone nursing pads like Lily Padz are the BOMB. They actually STOP leaking by putting pressure on the nipple. And they are reusable and last quite a long time. Definitely check them out. They are game changing!!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for all the replies, I tried disposables but I have very sensitive skin and was starting to react to them, once I switched to the cotton pads it got better. I'm going to check out the lily padz. So I'll be patient, its nice to know that their might be an end in sight soon (maybe) . I thought I was abnormal because I wasn't seeing anything about leaking I'm glad their are others going through this and that I'm not the only one.
    Last night was one of those bad nights of breastfeeding where you feel like giving up but I just tell myself we'll do it again tomorrow and see how it goes, if I can't do it we'll stop. But you know the next day is always better and I keep going
    It's nice to have these boards because you don't feel so alone.

Lily Padz didn't work for my unfortunately. I have OALD and the force of it would fill the Lily Pads with milk and they'd pop off and I'd get soaked. Worth a shot though.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I leaked a ton especially with my oldest. I mainly used disposable pads but another trick I did was I would put a cotton reusable pad against me and disposable on top, this was for cosmetic reasons as my cotton pads were so obvious looking but sometimes the disposable pad helped with leak through as well. I always carried an extra shirt when out and about, and wore dark patterns in quick drying fabrics. I also slept on layers of towels so that when I leaked at night I could just peel off the top layer and go back to sleep.

Can you feel a letdown happen? Some moms can stop or lessen the outflow by pressing on their nipples or breasts when letting down. I believe this is the concept of lillypads (?), in part at least.

I had some success with Lilypads but I still had to change them pretty often.

This is part of being a breastfeeding mom, some of us are leakers and some are not. Pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding have these interesting if inconvenient aspects that are pretty common but are not often discussed, like hair shedding all over post birth or weeks and weeks of period-like bleeding after birth.

Pumping as you are at night while baby sleeps will keep stimulating your milk supply, so if you have oversupply that might exacerbate it. But leaking on it's own is not a reliable indicator of oversupply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    Lily Padz didn't work for my unfortunately. I have OALD and the force of it would fill the Lily Pads with milk and they'd pop off and I'd get soaked. Worth a shot though.
    This definitely happened with me too, but the overall frequency of leaking was less when I wore them at work, etc. (They're also nice and low-profile.) Still, when I'd get home and see my hungry baby and hear him cry, BAM, nothing could stop the flow of milk!

I had some crazy psychosomatic associations, too. I could never understand it, but for some reason, being on the subway always made my milk let down. WTH? It was so weird. But very reliable.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm a leaker too. I found wool nursing pads, well lanolinized, helped. I had two pairs I rotated back and forth.

I went through a box if disposable ones a week for 10 months with my first baby
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!