Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bummed about my milk supply

Default Bummed about my milk supply

So I have done some research and read the forums to try and figure out the best cause of action to my BFing whoa's! My son is 5 1/2 months old and has been bfed from birth. All has been wonderful, till now. He has become very fussy on the breast often crying, pulling on my nipple and un latching over and over. He will drain them(3-5minutes on each breast) and continue to scream like he is starving. He also gets frustrated with my let down not being instant anymore. I started taking fenugreek last weekend to try and increase my supply. I drink tons of water and I try and eat a serving of oatmeal a day( I don't care for it). I was bfing and then pumping to try and increase supply, no luck. I work one day a week for just a few hours and only have to pump once in that time so for the most part I am home with him and am able and willing to nurse my brains out! What do I do now?

Default Re: Bummed about my milk supply

Could you be pregnant again?

Nurses much as you can, and pump when you are able, even if you don't get anything. It's about demand. And it takes some weeks with the pump to increase supply.

You can add in other herbs as well.

Look at the book Making More Milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well I have an IUD, so being pregnant is unlikely, at least I hope not yet anyway! So I guess I will just continue what I am doing then. What about supplementing in the mean time?

The more you supplement, the less demand your baby will put on your breasts to increase supply. That usually works in a cycle to diminish supply over time. The best way to increase your supply is to let him increase his demand through nursing. Is he having lots of wet and poop diapers?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    The more you supplement, the less demand your baby will put on your breasts to increase supply. That usually works in a cycle to diminish supply over time. The best way to increase your supply is to let him increase his demand through nursing. Is he having lots of wet and poop diapers?
    If baby is producing enough diapers, then the fussiness probably isn't caused by a supply issue. Teething, an ear infection, preference for a faster flow...

Is the IUD a Mirena? Sometimes that can negatively impact supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When did you get the IUD? It hammers some moms' supply.

Are his diapers OK?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have had the IUD since he was 7 weeks old. He usually averages 2 poopy diapers a day and 4 to 6 pee diapers. No sickness of any kind. He is such a happy baby all the time so when he is responding like he has been to some of his feedings, I know theres something wrong!
    I kind of assumed that if I began supplementing that it would be the beginning of the end but I feel as if I am left with no other choice. I nurse him as often as he wants to but its just not increasing anything. Today makes two weeks that I have been trying to increase my supply and I haven't had any real improvement. At least two of his feedings a day lead to him crying and very upset at the breast.
    As a mother who only believes in breastfeeding, the reality of possibly going to formula is such a dissapointment. It breaks my heart to even think about not being able to breastfeed my son! My pregnanacy was great, labor was so/so and then delivery was a nightmare! Emergency c-section after 16hours of labor followed by a infected incision that had to be packed twice a day for almost 3 months! I had to overcome so so many obstacles to get where I am now I just feel like I am giving up to easy.
    Last edited by @llli*mommabroome; April 8th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.

I don't really want to suggest supplementing , but if you get to a place you feel you have to - and I'm not convinced you're there yet - I would recommend using an Sns at the breast, so that you don't lose the demand or have to deal with bottles. They're a bit fussy, but good for short term use if you need them.

It doesn't sound like his diapers are problematic, which just means maybe he eats fast. Maybe growth spurt. Maybe he wants to comfort suck?

Going back to your original post, I'm confused that you say he can drain a breast in3-5 mins but ALSO that he gets frustrated with a slow letdown. Those two things seem contradictory to me. ??
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You are correct auderey! What I was thinking was my let down being slow in fact was what I believe to be just him not getting enough. I realized that over the last couple of days. Sorry, I am still figuring all this out also! I was thinking that it could be my flow but he doesn't always fuss and cry at every feeding. So, I don't know

I still would like to hear about a diaper count in a 24hour period of time? But unless the diaper count has dropped to below 6-8 in a 24hour period I am pretty sure you have talked yourself into a panic for no reason. Nothing in your posts suggest that you have a supply problem. Babies as they get older get distracted. And impatient. And as long as they have continued access to your breasts there is NO REASON to think that this means there is a supply issue. Neither does a slower weight gain in this time frame. Because this is the time when breastfed babies get moving. I understand what it's like to have a very happy easy going baby and then panic when your breast no longer seem like the cure all. And something MAY be wrong. But it's not your supply. Things I would check based on the behavior you are describing would be in order, an ear infection which sometimes upsets them when they are in the laying down position to nurse and then reflux which sometimes has the same effect. In the mean time when this starts to happen, try nursing you child in a position where he is closer to a sitting postion. And it may be NOTHING. It may just be that he IS very effective at eating now and IS getting bored with how hard he percives that it is to achieve a 2nd letdown. Or that he is frustrated with the amount of that 2nd letdown. Neither of these things qualifies as supply problem. Because your child is still nursing on demand and you body is still in fact meeting said demand. It's a personality issue. A patience issue on the part of your child. And one that you deal with by continuing to meet the demand and not taking the behavior personally. The only way that your child CAN communicate frustration or irritation OR boredom at this point is to cry. That doesn't mean that the answer is to supplement. It's all supply and demand. Continue to nurse on demand and check into things that MIGHT be causing pain or discomfort during a session. But don't stop nursing and don't supplement. As supplementing will just diminish your supply. Your baby deserves your milk. Even if he is grumbling while eating it. Don't Panic. And don't give up. You are doing what you are supposed to do. Count diapers for the next 24hours. If your baby is still making enough diapers you are still making enough milk.

Way too lazy for formula