Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple shape after nursing

Default Nipple shape after nursing

Hi everyone! Just a quick question...DD is nursing great - gaining well and the lactation consultant in the hospital said her latch was great. Tons of wet and poopie diapers each day. She's 8 days old today. My nipples were initially sore and had a few blisters but the right one is totally fine now with no pain. The left one is still a little sore and I'm still having some pain with latch on...I wonder if the shape of the left one after nursing indicates a latch issue. The blister is just up on one corner and that nipple tends to be asymmetrical after nursing (a little bit of "lipstick nipple"). The right one is more of a symmetrical cone shape after nursing. I can't for the life of me figure out what might be off. I've tried adjusting the angle of her head, etc. When she latches on her lips are nicely flanged and she's got the whole nipple in her mouth, etc. The left nipple is also slightly larger than my right nipple in general. Any ideas? I might give it a few more days and if no improvement perhaps I will visit the lactation department at the hospital and have them observe...

Also - is it normal to not feel let-downs as intensely when nursing your second child? I recall them being intense with DS. Now, it's just a slight tingle. Could be the pain meds from the C-section... Thanks everyone!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Nipple shape after nursing

is it a bleb? a clogged milk pore? I get a recurring one. It will only hurt on latch-on. Kinda like a pinch and then it's done hurting. A bleb might look like kinda whitish on the top or even kinda yellow. If baby is 8 days, your milk might still be transitioning some. That colostrum is thick stuff! Is it kinda tender if you press it lightly?

Yes! It is whitish/yellowish. What can be done about those? Thanks...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

How to treat a bleb:
    - fix any latch issues
    - moist healing (lanolin, warm water soaks, olive oil on a cotton ball tucked into bra)
    - if blister will not break and you are getting a plugged duct building up behind it, gently pick at the skin using a sterile needle

Everything you describe sounds pretty normal with a newborn, including less intense letdowns (the sensation can vary a lot from nursing experience to nursing experience). But if you can pop round to the Lactaton Dept. and get some help with the latch on the blistered side, that's probably a good idea. The slight lipstick shape and the blister probably indicate a latch that is less than optimal and hands-on help is a good way to improve that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"