Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: diet and breast feeding

Default diet and breast feeding

How many calories a day should I consume to keep up my milk supply?

Default Re: diet and breast feeding

This link has some more information, but the general rule is 300-500 calories above what your body would need otherwise.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I believe you have to consume an extra 500 calories a day on top of what you should be consuming for your normal weight! I hope that helps. I know I am ALWAYS hungry..so I just graze all day! =) haha

My understanding is that milk supply isn't going to be affected unless you're getting fewer than about 1500 calories per day. But you can have a perfectly good supply of milk for your baby and yet not be getting quite enough calories and nutrients for yourself, which is why extra calories are recommended.

But if you eat when you're hungry and eat a good variety of foods, you probably don't need to put much more thought into it than that.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--