Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help please! Need to even things out here!

Default Help please! Need to even things out here!

Our DS is 4 months old and things have been going very well but for the past few days I've had one side much fuller than the other and am having trouble evening things out. I would usually do one side per feeding, maybe I forgot and mixed things up a couple of times. I've never had any issues producing enough, if anything it's been more towards a bit of oversupply. I've tried offering the smaller side a little more often but it seems to be making things worse!! Do I need to just keep giving it more time, is there any more specific guidance to consider? Should I stop feeding on the larger side for a certain amount of time(how long???) and only let him get just enough to keep me from being uncomfortable? Should I consider a kind of block feeding where I did twice on smaller side and once on the other? Would really appreciate any help!

Default Re: Help please! Need to even things out here!

I think you came up with an excellent plan: offer the smaller side 2x in a row. The other side will probably get quite full and perhaps be uncomfortable, but the longer you let milk sit in that breast, the more your body will get the message that it is overproducing on that side, and it should eventually throttle back on production.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's normal to have a difference in supply between breasts. My left side ALWAYS made more than my right, even when Joe was almost two! That said, I agree with Mommal - offer the lower supply breast first, and at night, consider going back for seconds on that breast. A few days of that might get things closer to "even" although it may never be exactly even. It can be a tough cycle to break, though, because your baby may prefer your "leaky" side too, which can definitely reinforce any differences. In the end, it may never completely even out, but the differences will calm down a bit as time passes.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My little one is 5 months and I find my left side is always a bit fuller than my right. Sometimes it is too full and I just pump 2-3 oz and put it in the freezer. After a couple of days I notice it goes down a bit, but is still always fuller. My baby prefers to nurse off my left. He can get a better latch. I think you got some good advice from the ladies above!

This is exactly how I am/was. My left side produces significantly less. I did exactly what you came up with, fed on the left side twice as often, even if I ended up having to top her off on the right after sometimes. Things are more even now but I still produce more on the right. It was the same way with my first daughter. Good luck!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Thank you so very much ladies for all your help and encouragement, I will keep at it and see how it goes! :-)

Let us know We love even boobies here
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!