Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Choking at the breast

Default Choking at the breast

Hi ladies, my LO will be 3 months on Friday and overall we have been very successful with BFing. However, every few days, she will choke on the milk as she is feeding. Usually she pulls off and it just takes her a second or two to catch her breath.

Today was a really scary episode that took her 5 or 6 seconds, as well as me turning her over and patting her back before she recovered which was really really scary. After a few minutes of crying I calmed her down and we tried again, and she started choking very briefly again. Again, she cried, calmed down and then went back on the breast till she fell asleep.

I'm not really sure what is happening here and would love some advice. I don't think I have OALD and I have a pretty "normal" supply. Any suggestions? Any other info I can give to help figure out the problem?

Default Re: Choking at the breast

Why don't you think it is OALD? OALD comes in many degrees, from mild to severe, it basically means baby is having difficulty with a rapid milk flow, and again this difficulty could range from mild to severe. It need not occur at every nursing session. Also it can happen when there is no oversupply.

If this is only happening occasionally, does it tend to happen when baby has taken a longer break without nursing, or at certain times of the day? (maybe when milk production is higher?) That would maybe suggest a kind of 'situational" oald if that makes sense. Also does it happen when you are using a different position or maybe only on one side?

I guess I thought it was not OALD because I thought it had to happen every time, or have milk that squirts out etc which I don't have. I haven't really noticed a trend in when it happens, but since it only happens every 5 or 6 days, I hadn't really been paying too close attention, especially since she recovered quickly. But since the scary episode yesterday, I really want to figure it out. I'm going to start keeping track of when, how it happens to see if there is a pattern. Like you said maybe it's a specific hold I can avoid. I have noticed it mostly happens on my right side, but not always. I've had a few issues, like a blocked duct on that side and I also feel she prefers the other side more. Maybe the right has a stronger letdown than she doesn't like? I don't feel my let down so I have a hard time knowing when it comes. I assume it comes when she starts chugging :-) Thanks for your response!

my daughter had the same prob when she was a little younger, around 3-6 wk. it was mainly one breast she had issues with. i think the let down was a little fast and i have super fast flowing nipples. what i started doing was leaning back when she takes that side and gravity helps to slow it down a bit. this helped for me. she is now 3 months and chokes occasionaly but not often