Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 month old and solids

Default Re: 10 month old and solids

I just wanted to point out that my dd did not get a tooth until about 3 weeks ago, and she has been eating apples (raw ones even) for 2 months! But I would def. start with cooked apples first! They don't chew with their front teeth anyway...they mash with their gums!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Okay, thank you. I thought she mashed with her gums but to hear someone else say it reasures me that she is fine.

I tried eggs with her. She didn't make a face when she ate it, but when she was done she started waving to her other finger food "wagon wheels"
    I will keep trying though.

I know this is totally overwhelming...but the whites of eggs are allergenic. www.askdrsears.com has some great info on good foods to start with as well as allergenic foods. I woudl find the exact link, but don't have time right now! Sorry!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)

DD self-feeds many foods, but we haven't done pasta yet. What shape/size is good for a first introduction to pasta?

Also, we've tried lentils, but even with a pretty good pincer grip...they're just so darn small...! DD has to work so hard to get at them! Is there a trick...or does she just need a little more practice....?

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

Quote Originally Posted by theclarkfamily View Post
    DD self-feeds many foods, but we haven't done pasta yet. What shape/size is good for a first introduction to pasta?

Also, we've tried lentils, but even with a pretty good pincer grip...they're just so darn small...! DD has to work so hard to get at them! Is there a trick...or does she just need a little more practice....?
    Lentils are pretty tiny. My "trick" is to really cook them well until just a bit overdone. /then I mush them together so that Addie can grab chunks of it ... messy, but it works! Also, Addie's newest love is chick peas (organic, no salt added - break in half). I drain them and leave it i the fridge for awhile so they aren't slippery ... she can't get enough of them!

I love Calder's pictures ... and what a beautiful name!!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

OH my! I'm late for school and have no ability to use the quotes w/ more than one person so know that I am responding to like three people!
    To the Clark Family regarding pasta, we have done those conch shaped pasta shell in medium with the most success! He loves those! We have also done spaghetti and the flat ones cut into thirds with some success(He doesn't like grabbing them as much because there's nothing really to hold onto )
    Erin, Tomatoes are on the "after 12month list just like eggs! (I'll forward you the info Annie sent me )
    And to the OP I have been doing child solids since my baby was 6months old exclusively (He'll be 11months on the 22nd) and I have never cooked or skinned a fruit! If you read the info in the "Child led" research (I assume the link is here somewhere...right?)it says give them what you eat. For a long time he just explored and played with stuff but at about 8&1/2 months he started eating two full meal a day. Quantity of food, small. VARIETY of food HUGE! We generally give at least 3 things for lunch and 5 things for dinner. I think making sure they have choices is KEY and I find myself mentally checking for all the food groups in my head. (So if we don't give him meat because we don't feed him beef yet, we give him pinto beans so he gets the protein, try to make sure there is something green on his plate, always a fruit!) Last night he had string cheese, Apple slices, Turkey shreds and pasta shells! And we always offer him water with dinner so he gets used to drinking it! Continuing to offer up different choices can be challenging(it's hard to do it for our own grocery list KWIM?) but the rewards are great. My son will try anything and as long as he feels like his cues are respected (IE after he reject something for the evening we don't try with that thing anymore for the day and when he expresses that he's done being in the highchair, we let him down) has participated in wonderfully in family meal time!
    Oh I think that if you look at the ingredients in Gerber finger foods you'll find f stuff in there that you won't in the whole table foods. The things that concern me the most is the sodium, and added sugars...Good Luck!
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; November 14th, 2006 at 01:55 PM.

This is confusing. All I know is my baby is becoming pickier and pickier and I don't know what to do. I think I will try the apple thing, (when can they have eggs because I heard they are eggcelent HEHE)

The pasta thing, I would find easy to pick up pasta and cook until mushy.

Right now my babe only likes milk and those carrot wagon wheels by gerber, nothing else. OH ya and juice and water.
    I just feel bad because I want to find and give her the foods she likes so she is satisfied. She is not satisfied by my milk, I have to supplement her, she is still so hungry afterwards and I think thats why she wakes up so much at night.

Quote Originally Posted by car011704 View Post
    This is confusing. All I know is my baby is becoming pickier and pickier and I don't know what to do. I think I will try the apple thing, (when can they have eggs because I heard they are eggcelent HEHE)

The pasta thing, I would find easy to pick up pasta and cook until mushy.

Right now my babe only likes milk and those carrot wagon wheels by gerber, nothing else. OH ya and juice and water.
    I just feel bad because I want to find and give her the foods she likes so she is satisfied. She is not satisfied by my milk, I have to supplement her, she is still so hungry afterwards and I think thats why she wakes up so much at night.
    I'm sorry I went back and the child led solids link isn't here. Have you read it? After I read it, it was soooo easy! At 1st I gave him one thing a day and then by following his cues I was able to determine when he was ready for more. I try ti give him things out of out meals that are good for him and always have "baby back up food". Which includes, Apples, Pears, Avacados,, Cheerios, string cheese and applsauce. These are things we keep in the house most days to fill in any gaps around other thing we may be feeding him. The idea of foods needing to be "soft" for a baby to handle, are pretty much let go with child led solids. The research show that babies when left to their own devices won't bring food to their own mouths until they are ready for it to be there. ANd even then they won't SWALLOW it until ready either. So I wouldn't worry so much about stuff being soft as I would about it being long enough for her to get her hand around to pick up and still get some in her mouth.
    And my 22lb 10 and 1/2 month old has never been supplemented and he will wake sometimes 8-12x a night to nurse. This has been going on since he was 6months old and teething began. It also happens whenever he hits a developmental milestone. Like walking. So even with two real meals a day he nurses all night. It's not about being hungry. It's about comfort and pain relief.
    Solids, like cereal will NOT help a baby sleep thru the night.
    Tonight he had spinach, apples, tortilla and sweet potatoes. Two of those things came from our meal and two were fill ins from my "baby back up foods"
    Don't feel overwhelmed! Offer lots of choices!

I have to second DJ's mom that supplementing with solids will not necessarily make your lo sleep longer stretches at night. Haylee has been eating a ton of food and waking more frequently than she has in a log time!

Last ngiht she ate pasta, eggplant and banans and was up all night long wanting to nurse. Nursing at night is not only becuase they are hungry...they nurse to be close to mom, becuase their teeth hurt, because they are insecure. There are lots of other reasons for frequent night waking, and actually, Dr. Sears has some great info on his website to check to be sure that night waking doesn't have other causes. Our doesn't, its just her personailty, but we tried it all!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly

Ya, you are right, she does nurse for comfort, I just get scared that I am starving her sometimes!!! Even though she is a very happy baby!!!

Okay I will look at the link and go to the store and stock up on some foods for her. I am going to cook some brocolli for lunch to see if she likes that.
    I know I should calm down, my hubby and I were very picky eaters and I was actually underweight when I was in 7th grade and my doctor was concerned about it, I was just very active and didn't have interest in food. I am still here on this earth!!
    I will just have to remember to pick up those things for her at the store.