Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 month old and solids

Default 10 month old and solids

OUr 10 month old doesn't want to eat gerber solid foods anymore and is more interested in table food. We have given her bananas, bread, cherrios, fruit and veggie puffs and I know they can have pasta. But how can I incorporate veggies in there and are there anymore table foods I can give her?
    For now she only has two teeth but believe me, she can chew up those other foods great.

Default Re: 10 month old and solids

You can make your own veggies, if you want, and chop them up in the blender. I do that for our sitter. I just make recipes up as I go...and if your lo isn't into veggies, you can try to hide it a bit with fruit. I use apples b/c my dd loves them, and I will add a bit of apple to sweeten the punch so to speak. The other day I chopped apples and beans and cooked them and she loved it! She gobbled it up. She likes to feed herself veggies too! At 10 months, your lo can probably eat most anything! Haylee like cooked broccoli, carrots, peas, corn, beans, potatoes. I don't even chop taht stuff when we feed it to her, but the sitter is uncomfortable feeding her whole foods...for fear of choking. Last night Haylee (11 months) ate chopped bits of turkey, carrots, mashed potatoes and cranberries. She loved it. I have been giving her whatever we are eating for the past 2 months or so, and letting her feed herself. She is much happier eating "real food"!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thank you so much!!!! I can tell our baby needs more of our table food. She looks at me like momma wheres the good stuff!!!!
    I will try that tonight, I am so excited!!!!
    That's awesome you tried all that with your babe and it costs less than buying all that gerber food!!!

Our little one loves chick peas, steamed carrots, peas, green beans, brown rice cakes (no salt added) and lentils. We also have done the baby led approach ... no pureed foods, only real food she can feed herself. For some great ideas on this see:

Baby Led / Finger Foods

Recipes for Self Feeding Foods

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

You will find it so much more satisfying to see your lo actually picking up and eating food herself than feeding it to her. Beware the mess though...you definitely have to have a different mindset to these meals! I just got back to work from lunch and my mom had made the three of us salad...Haylee had lettuce, avacado, tomatoes and cheese and she was covered in green and red goo! But she ate a ton, all by her little old self! I am so glad we stopped using baby food when we heard about child led solids...they can handle so much more than we give them credit! Now she has become such a little mooch...whenever we eat she comes begging...with her hand out and this look of dire starvation, drool practically pouring out of her mouth .

And it is so much better for them than that pureed canned stuff! I am excited to hear back tomorrow, with an update on the real food!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)

I think that baby led foods is wonderful!!! I don't mind a good mess and I love watching our baby explore new foods.

We tried corn, she liked it except she left the outer part of the corn in her mouth. I just swiped it out of there. I took CPR many times (I am a teacher) so it didn't scare me. Should we try again or wait until she gets more teeth?

I will try brocolli tonight. Don't they get more nutrients eating the actual food rather than eating gerber foods?? Or is it the same??

Thank you also for the great articles. It's so much fun being a mom!!!
    Maybe more babies, children, teens and adults would be happier if their parents supported thier interests, listened to them and just supported them in general. (Maybe I wouldnt be as confused with my relationship with my mother sometimes, She loves me and I love her we just have some issues)
    Last edited by car011704; November 13th, 2006 at 02:10 PM. Reason: more to say.

We have a joke around our house that Haylee harbors food in her cheek to save it for later...when she is full, she will leave that last little mouthful for later...depending on what it is I might take it out of her mouth to reduce the choking risk. That might be what your lo was doing with the corn...I would continue to offer it if she likes it! Just do what you are comfortable with, and that is so great that you know what to do if she actually does choke! I know it makes me more comfortable with my dd (I am an EMT!)!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

We have a joke around our house that Haylee harbors food in her cheek to save it for later...when she is full, she will leave that last little mouthful for later...depending on what it is I might take it out of her mouth to reduce the choking risk.
    Ellie does this too; she'll hold a piece of chicken or Purely O in her cheek for half an hour.

I agree with the pp; letting babies feed themselves is fun! It's also nice to have a dog who loves to clean up the floor under the high chair.

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Now she has become such a little mooch...whenever we eat she comes begging...with her hand out and this look of dire starvation, drool practically pouring out of her mouth
    ok, we are in big trouble then......Shiloh already whimpers when we don't give him stuff that we are eating, and he can't even crawl!!!!

We give him some purees and some whole things to play with and "eat"...and he's 6months old. He's had whole pieces of apple, pear, squash, banana...and he's never choked.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: month old and solids

I was wondering about pears and apples. I will maybe pick some up today and try to cook it and soften it up.
    My baby is just about toothless and still bald.
    I forget sometimes she is just about 10 months old!! She looks younger without hair and only two teeth its so cute.

That's funny your babes hold it in their mouth.
    Ya, it didnt seem like it bothered her, she usually makes weird faces if something bothers her. I will try it again.

We don't have a dog but we have a cat who likes to eat everything!!!