Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 month old and solids

Default Re: 10 month old and solids

I just introduced Soy to my 9 month old and she is loving Edamame(Soy Beans) But today I tried this recipe for tofu and yummed it up:

Tofu Finger Cubes

1 Package Firm Tofu
    Crushed/Powdered Cereal, Crackers, Granola or Wheat Germ

Slice tofu into small cubes that are manageable for your baby.
    Toss tofu in a Ziploc bag with crushed Cheerios, crushed graham crackers or crushed granola
    Close bag and toss to thoroughly coat tofu cubes – serve as finger food for snack or as protein source at a meal

Just read through this thread -- somehow I missed it before. Here's a questions for DJ's mom, Annie (P-T-M) and anyone else who is doing child led solids -- have you seen the quantity your LOs are eating go up over time? Just wondering as I've pretty much stopped giving purees or ground up food and am trying to go as much child led as possible, but it seems like my son (almost 13 months) is eating much less than he was before. Yes, he's trying more things, but so much of it ends up in his bib, chair, or on the floor. I know that's part of the learning process, but I was just wondering if you had noticed that your LOs are actually gradually the quantity that they are eating, along with the variety, as DJ's mom described.

I know I should relax more about this -- you guys are an inspiration to me in this sense. But I'm interested in your experiences so that I can feel comfortable letting him go at his own pace (especially since right now his pace seems to be going backwards).

Annie

Yes. When we started doing this (at 6months ) He was given one thing a day. Watermelon, banana, advacado, sweet potato. Around 7&1/2months we added cheerios and rice. So one THING a day plus some crunchy snacks. Then breads and broccoli and more fruits. Pears and Apples. Apple slices have been a STAPLE since they have been introduced. He loves them and they are so....NOT a big mess! Around 8&1/2 months I realized we were at two meals a day. Some where in sept I have started giving him a piece of apple at lunch time to fend him off and we began sharing yogurt. Then I quickly added in Daily breakfast of dry cereal in a tea cup. He gets Cheerios and Organic Rice chex every morning. On the weekends when we eat more he gets more . He's been at 3 solid meals a day since about 10 months...And basically as the # of things he tries and likes increases, so does what I feed him. Now at ayear he too has a ton of stuff that doesn't go into his mouth. And as far as portions go. I take a tea cup saucer and put 4-6 different things on it (Tonight he had black olives quatered, slices of cheese, artichoke hearts, tomatoes slices and some slices of london broil. All cut up into thin slices he can get his hands around. Like 6-8 piece of everything but the meat. Like four of the meat. And I put half of it in front of him. All spread out across his Highchair so he knows he has choices. And let him go. We monitor him and give him more as finishes. We make sure he's taking sips of water. Now if he finished everything on the highchair and has 2nds (still off the saucer), we feel like that's GOOD eating. He usually makes it to round two but not through it if that makes sense. So the quantity is pretty small. But you know...they're little people. And He's still bfing. So I don't worry. I try to just worry about providing quality food and opportunity to eat. None of us liked it when our parents forced us to finish dinner.
    But I swear part of being successful IS lots of choices. Because if there's only 2 or 3 to choose from and you don't like two...yeah it's probably no fun. He is always interested in the new stuff. I see him getting bored with things like toast and potatoes. I think it's important for there to alway be a green on his plate. Even if he doesn't alway eat it. And play around with sauces and dressing and things. And before you get completely comfortable keep "back up" or "staples" to fall back on. On a night when we would have Halibut and Cheese vermachelli (SP?) before he was one he got NEITHER so he have brown rice , apple slices or pear slices and some quesadea. We always have organic unsweetened applesauces in the fridge. If he seems like he want more than cereal for breakfast, he'll get 1/2 of one and eat the other half with his lunch. We keep beans around because they are a quick easy protein. And they are like cheerios in that half the fun is picking them up.
    SO I'm just trying to show you examples of how we ease thru it. And I'll tell you I'm scared to death of not providing well balanced meals. Of giving him to much salt of him liking pork and pancakes as much as we do. But all I can do is try to make sure I'm working from the Pyramid....(reevaluting dairy some) and see if I can keep him from being picky by continuing to provide lots' of choices. He's already doing better than me. He likes stuffing! (Eeeww soogy bread crumbs with bird blood on them EEEWWW) I was actually thinking of buying some Tofu...I don't like it but my DH does. (He'll eat ANYTHING I SWEAR) Anyway sorry it's so long. But I think the more detail, the more ideas of things you'll have to try with your own LO! Let me know if I can help anymore!

Way too lazy for formula

Oh, that's so wonderfully helpful. The details are fabulous. We're all benefitting so much from your experiences. And I LOVE your saucer system. Do you keep the saucer within view so he can be intrigued by the pretty array of foods?

I think you're right about variety being key. I see Jeremy getting bored quickly with foods he ate with gusto the day before. I'll get excited because he'll be enthusiastic with something new I'm giving him (especially from our meals), but the next day as leftovers he just picks and tosses. It's quite a challenge, though, to give interesting new things all day, especially when I'm arriving from work at the end of the day and scrambling. The way you describe it, it sounds almost like artwork!

One question -- do you still nurse before his main meal? Jeremy definitely eats more happily if he's a bit hungrier, but I'm feeling anxious about giving up that pre-dinner nursing session (especially since it's a chance to reconnect when I get home from work). That's my current dilemma -- I'm curious as to how you are handling it.

Annie

Well we nurse by default sometimes but not usually right before dinner. But I usually do nurse DJ up from his naps and and 1st thing in th morning. And I am trying to feed him breakfast fairly soon after we get up so I nurse him always before breakfast and often before lunch because often lunch will be right after him nap? But unless he takes a late day nap I usually nurse AFTER dinner rather than before. How do you grocery shop? Because I have a "for the baby" section that I write that has all the baby back up food in it and I try to buy well balanced meals for us as well. So if before it was only meat and potatoes (our meal)then I try to add a green. If I think "he's already had potatoes twice this week" we'll give him rice instead. So he is getting new things everyday from our meals and then we can use the "baby back up food" to fill in holes.
    And remember, your baby is over a year now so you can be more relaxed about introducing things.
    A couple of other things I have in the baby back up pile that we feel good about
    Frozen veggies. We have in our freezer right now Lima beans and spinach. I happen to think they are both better frozen than canned? Anyway if we are missing a green those are things you can get out and prepare in "Baby sized" portions so you don't have extra lima bean or spinach hanging out. KWIM? You just only make a handful!
    And as your arsenal grows, you can adapt. We went visiting today. Our hostess was BBquing porkchops and made a salad. (LOVE HER!) I picked tomato,mushrooms and avacado out of the salad and cut it up for him and gave him some slices of pork and I had apples slice w/me as well as little rice cakes. So he had 5choices. He didn't touch the mushrooms...but they were there!!!
    It's also good for you to expand your own eating horizons! I'm glad it's helping!

Way too lazy for formula

Our grocery store has a frozen peas and carrots mix - the carrots are diced, so they're easy for baby to pick up. I just nuke 'em until they're soft. It's cheaper than the gerber alternative, and probably healthier too - unless you have access to fresh stuff.

Okay, very interesting. I usually nurse Jeremy before naps so it works out a little differently, it means that by dinnertime it's an awful long time since his last nursing and I feel like we should nurse. But maybe I'll shift things around a bit. We eat pretty healthy meals (I'm semi-vegetarian and a vegetable fanatic) but somehow that hasn't translated into enough variety for Jeremy. Okay, well these are great suggestions, thanks again!

Oh, and today I gave him a whole, unpeeled apple for the first time (with a few bites out of it to get him started). He was really intrigued and worked on it for quite a long time before it got tossed overboard.

Anniie

an old thread ... one that I found super helpful when we were starting baby led solids with DS

lots of great advice from many moms, but I particularly liked (and use) DJ's Mom description of her saucer system of offering her DS several foods
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for bumping all these threads! Much appreciated and very helpful!!

They mentioned a child solids link in here...where can I find that?
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by morningirl View Post
    They mentioned a child solids link in here...where can I find that?
    You're welcome!

The links are probably these:

blog by parents who did baby led solids

guidelines
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)