Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Issues of first year moms

Post Issues of first year moms

Hi, I’m Michelle, mom of a gorgeous 8 mo boy, David. I started introducing solids at 6 months (cereals and purees) and it was a no hustle process. David loved them. For the moment he is doing well, allthough I was a bit scared in the beginning (no allergies identified, he seems to enjoy food). I am the kind of woman(logistics @FedEX) for which knowledge creates certain decision making. So even when being a butterfly, i started gathering knowledge that would eventually ease the job i had to do of raising a perfectly healthy baby.

So in my quest, i discovered some issues and found out that moms talk all the time about those issues.

1. At first is the fact that all the info out there is very general, while our children have different habits, preferences, allergies or intolerances and they need personalization regarding the feeding process (breastfeeding included).
    2. Among first time moms, there is a lack of know-how and experience (to introduce and test aliments, to combine them, to find substitutes, to bf/ff and so on).
    3. Than there is the lack of an individual feeding plan and the struggle to make it. On this one, help could only come from medical experts (pediatricions mainly) which costs and availability is off the charts.
    4. Last but not least is the lack of certified info and sources and inefficient tracking. All that combined with no individualized information equals a lot of uncertainty, stress, frustration, worries especially for first time moms (as I have been).

Although in the end the majority of moms realize that the whole process isn’t that hard to go through, I think it would be much easier for us to have a tool that bring us know-how and confidence during this process, according to our babies’ individual needs. And what i mean by individual needs is that each child is different(different preferences, allergies, intolerances, tastes, habits, development cycles and so on) and it should be recommend a proper feeding plan for his stage (like the pediatrician do). In this way I think our children would eat calibrated meals with proper nutrients and foods for their particular needs.

In the last years, we practically changed the way we eat and the way our children do. It’s led to the mirracle of cheap and abandoned callories, but it’s also been the root cause of an ever expending obesity epidemic. And it comes with some nasty, physical, psychological and social consequences. The problem is that babies should not eat the same way. Wether is the lack of know-how and experience from parents, or the medical problems that appear from unhealthy nutrients, they all lead to unhealthy growing.

SO THERE IS A CONTINUOUS STRUGGLE FROM PARENTS. Maybe we'll find a solution. I'm from SF and here we've got a lot of young kids that are good with technology to resolve problems and connect different people. There are similar cultures. And in the US we really got a problem with obesity

I ask for your feedback based on what i've discovered. Does somebody else experience what i've wrote above?

Default Re: Issues of first year moms

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*michellewright View Post
    Although in the end the majority of moms realize that the whole process isn’t that hard to go through, I think it would be much easier for us to have a tool that bring us know-how and confidence during this process, according to our babies’ individual needs. And what i mean by individual needs is that each child is different(different preferences, allergies, intolerances, tastes, habits, development cycles and so on) and it should be recommend a proper feeding plan for his stage (like the pediatrician do). In this way I think our children would eat calibrated meals with proper nutrients and foods for their particular needs.
    It is precisely because all babies (and parents) are different that there is no "proper feeding plan" - although I'm not entirely sure exactly what you mean by this. Parents are responsible for knowing what is healthy (not too difficult - fresh fruits & veggies, whole grains, high quality meats & dairy) and making sure these foods are available. Healthcare workers cannot be expected to come up with individualized menus for every baby out there. That is pretty unrealistic. If your baby has an allergic reaction to a food, you can see an allergist for recommendations given various allergies.

A lot of research has been done on infant feeding, allergies, and obesity and the results are often conflicting, so it is difficult to make decisive recommendations based on available data. It seems that all research shows that introducing a wide variety of foods (especially fruits and veggies) and letting babies control quantity consumed themselves give the highest probability of a healthy diet later in life. Solids are for exploration during the first year, so as long as you offer lots of different healthy options, it doesn't really matter what babies do with it.

In the last years, we practically changed the way we eat and the way our children do. It’s led to the mirracle of cheap and abandoned callories, but it’s also been the root cause of an ever expending obesity epidemic. And it comes with some nasty, physical, psychological and social consequences. The problem is that babies should not eat the same way. Wether is the lack of know-how and experience from parents, or the medical problems that appear from unhealthy nutrients, they all lead to unhealthy growing.
    I don't agree with the bolded (at least not the way that it is worded). No one should be eating that way. I think adults should be eating fresh, whole foods, and babies should be eating what adults are eating. My 16 month old will only eat what the rest of us are eating. We need to set a good example for our children. How can we expect them to eat well if we do not?

I find this post very bizarre and I also find it odd that you felt the need to put it in so many separate forums.

Why is it a continuous struggle? You hand them food, they eat it or they don't. You nurse them or you nurse and formula feed or you formula feed. Obviously, around here, since we are a breastfeeding support forum, most of us are nursing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I find this post very bizarre and I also find it odd that you felt the need to put it in so many separate forums.

Why is it a continuous struggle? You hand them food, they eat it or they don't. You nurse them or you nurse and formula feed or you formula feed. Obviously, around here, since we are a breastfeeding support forum, most of us are nursing.
    Why does feeding the baby need to be an exercise in planning and logistics? Perhaps that is why you are finding yourself stressed. You are looking for a tool to help moms get good information/advice? that's how we found our way onto this forum. Especially since breastfeeding is not as common now, so we may or may not be able to turn to other women in our lives for advice. Does anybody on here (or anywhere in the world) have a baby exactly the same as any other baby? no, but we talk about our experiences in similar situations and hope they may help another mama who needs support.

I too don't understand the post and why it is in all different forums.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Watch Baby, not the clock (or an app, etc)...end of story.

BTW this would be my answer to the 8 other times you posted this exact question in the other subforums
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language