Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help needed for Pumping/Milk Supply/Returning to work

Default Help needed for Pumping/Milk Supply/Returning to work

My son is approaching a month old and I am exclusively breast feeding him. I will be going back to work after 12 weeks and I am looking for reccomendations/thoughts on a pumping routine in order to establish a supply for when I return to work.

This is my second son. With my first son, I waited until the last few weeks of maternity leave to start pumping to establish a bit of storge supply for when I returned to work and barely had any (probably 15oz). That was very stressful for me as every day I felt so much pressure to pump what my baby would need for the next day.

This time around I would like to avoid that stress and have begun pumping daily. Currently I have been pumping 2 times a day after my son's morning and afternoon (8am and noonish) nursings. Between the two pumpings I have been able to pump about 2oz.

I am looking for reccomendations/thoughts on this approach. Is there a better time when I should be pumping? Should I be pumping more often?

As a side note, my body does not respond well to pumping in the sense of efficient expressing of the milk....even after extensive massage, consultation, use of different sized breast shields and trying 3 different pumps, etc.
    Appreciate your support!

Default Re: Help needed for Pumping/Milk Supply/Returning to work

Have you ever tried pumping one side while your son nurses from the other side?

How long are you pumping?

2 ounces a day every day for the next 8 weeks is going to give you 112 ounces, so that's a really decent freezer stash - try not to stress!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

@mommy2lilah- Yes, I have tried pumping one side while nursing and it's a little too much for me b/c I have to massage my breast to "assist" the milk to come out when pumping. I need another hand!!

On average I have been pumping about 20-25 minutes after my son nurses. I usually start with the breast that he either didn't nurse on or finished on then I will pump the other breast for a bit.

I too was thinking that 112 ounces would be a decent stash. Do you think that I should continue on the way I am? If things were to continue this way, I would be super happy with 112 ounces. I wasn't sure if there was a more efficent way (considering my situation) to go about this. I am super committed to breast feeding and would be willing to try anything. Appreciate your response!

Do you have a double electric pump? If you're going to be pumping at work, you will need one.

The amount you are getting is quite normal given that you are pumping while you are nursing all day. When you go to work (as you know from last time), you will be pumping to replace feedings so you should get more.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree with Tracie, you do need a double electric for returning to work if you do not have one. Consider getting a hands free pumping bra so that you have your hands free for compression. Make sure that your horns are the right size, using horns that are to big/small can affect how you respond to a pump. Also try playing with the speed and suction while you are home and just pumping for the extra stash, when I first started pumping I went to full suction thinking it would work the best and found after a while that I did better on a slower setting. I order bags online they are cheaper than I can get at the store, the Lansnoh are cheaper but I think the Honey Suckle are a little thicker and I like them better.

Good Luck

http://www.amazon.com/PumpEase-Class.../dp/B0034ISZ8O

http://www.amazon.com/Honeysuckle-Br.../dp/B0031A1R26

http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Breas.../dp/B000M16Y7U
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude