Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BM Yogurt

Question BM Yogurt

How do you make breast milk yogurt?
    I have heard some moms mention it, and would love to try it with DS. In particular, any tips for making a good consistency yogurt or troubleshooting tips? Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*greatestjoy; January 30th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

Default Re: BM Yogurt

i just pinned this link for homemade yogurt, i believe it is a lll mama i think you could just sub bm for the whole milk

good idea

Awesome, thanks!
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

haha, so I just have to chime in, as I was looking through the Introducing solids forum. I saw this thread, and thought, wow, what a great idea, I wonder if it would be any different from making regular yogurt, since I do that! So then I start reading, and click on the link and was really surprised to find that it was my own blog that she linked! ha! Anyway, I hadn't thought of trying to make breastmilk yogurt, but I did want to add this little bit of helpful info that I might try. I also will from time to time make raw milk yogurt, which doesn't need to be heated as high of heat--you just have to heat it to 110 degrees before stirring in the yogurt starter. Raw milk yogurt is much healthier, especially from a digestive standpoint, because all the wonderful digestive enzymes are still intact and not destroyed by pasteurization. Heating it just to 110 degrees warms it enough to incubate it with the yogurt starter, but not destroy the enzymes. Since breastmilk is technically a raw milk...well, I would be willing to try heating it just to 110 degrees. Anyone else wanna try? I don't currently pump, though I do have a manual pump, so maybe I'll start pumping a little at a time to try making a small batch. But maybe anyone that reads this and pumps might want to give it a go. (Oh boy, will my DH really think I'm nuts--I whipped out my pump the other day when I discovered that my teething DD actually likes sucking on ice cubes now...I pumped enough to make a few ice cubes for her to suck on. DH wouldn't touch the ice cube tray, even with a ten foot pole!)
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

oh, and also, I would imagine it would turn out runnier than normal yogurt too, just as a heads up.
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!

I would do it, but I haven't pumped in a while and DD is two now, so I don't even know what I would get if I tried.. I tried to make yogurt once, but I got kind of freaked out and couldn't tell if it was okay to eat or not. It looked okay, but I think I might have had the wrong type of thermometer. Are you supposed to leave the light on in the oven?

When I make yogurt using cow's milk, it takes a whole quart. Hard to imagine pumping four cups of breastmilk (and I had OS!). I've made yogurt many times, and it can be tricky. I've ruined a few batches. That would just devastating if it was that much breastmilk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    When I make yogurt using cow's milk, it takes a whole quart. Hard to imagine pumping four cups of breastmilk (and I had OS!). I've made yogurt many times, and it can be tricky. I've ruined a few batches. That would just devastating if it was that much breastmilk.
    I've made it in the crockpot, and it takes A LOT of milk. I've also ruined several batches. I'd freak my freak if I did that with BM. Plus, I can't imagine pumping that much. Your baby is over a year. I'd probably just do organic whole cows milk. Or just go buy it. Homemade yogurt is really runny. I have made Greek yogurt before by straining it. After I did all that work, I decided it was easier to buy it. :/ It seriously was intense, and it didn't yield that much Greek yogurt. Yogurt manufacturers use pectin and other thickeners to make it thick.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Yeah, like I said it kind of freaked me out. That was why I only made it once. In theory I don't think it would be a bad idea, but with all the work that's involved and the fact that you wouldn't even know what the end result is going to be I don't think I would do it.

I was thinking I was gonna scale it way back if I did try it. No way I'm gonna pump a quart! But I could see it as a unique experiment if someone had a sizeable stash built up, and no way to use it all up. As an added aside, maybe I just luck out when I make yogurt, but I haven't botched hardly any batches, and I think the crockpot method is a pain to do, hence the method that I use in the above link. You will know if a cultured product like yogurt didn't turn out--it will smell off. We can reliably use our sense of smell, taste, vision to know if something is not fit to eat--they didn't always have expiration dates for food, you know! But again, I realize the extra caution with a baby is well noted, whether the homemade yogurt is made with BM, or cow's milk.