Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 weeks with first cold suddenly unhappy while breastfeeding

Default 9 weeks with first cold suddenly unhappy while breastfeeding

My son has always latched wonderfully while breastfeeding, since day one just a terrific feeder. A couple of days ago he came down with his very first cold and has been very uncomfortable. Today he almost refused to latch when I offered him the breast. Usually it is a great comfort to him, and if I let him he would nurse himself sick (he never over eats from the bottle) but today he wouldn't stop fussing long enough to eat for more than a minute or two.
    His cold symptoms have been getting better the past couple days and we set up a humidifier in his room which seems to have helped but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this kind of problem with a sick kid or if it's something I should call his pediatrician about.

I have been giving him about a half dose (40mg) of tylenol once a day to help with his cold and aches, and just started giving him a vitamin D supplement

Default Re: 9 weeks with first cold suddenly unhappy while breastfee

This sort of behavior is very typical with a sick kid. Sometimes the congestion is to blame- if you can't breathe it's hard to eat (try sucking on something while pinching your nose shut). Sometimes it's a sore throat or aching ears that make baby unwilling.

The only thing that worries me in situations like these is that when baby is getting bottles, it can be easy for a nursing strike to turn into full-on weaning. If you can, I would put the bottles on the shelf for now, just to make sure you don't get into a situation where baby is rejecting the breast in an attempt to get a bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 9 weeks with first cold suddenly unhappy while breastfee

Shoot breastmilk up his nose right before feeding. That should clear him up enough to eat comfortably while breathing.

Way too lazy for formula