Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Swollen/infected montgomery gland? Ouch!

Default Swollen/infected montgomery gland? Ouch!

I have a swelling right next to the nipple (on the aereola) and I think maybe it's an infected or plugged Montgomery gland. Does anyone have experience with this? It is EXCRUCIATING when he latches on that side. I'm in tears when he does and I usually have to cut him off before he is ready because it's so painful. It showed up a few days ago, only on that side. When it first showed up it almost looked like a blister and now it's a little scab.

Help!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Swollen/infected montgomery gland? Ouch!

Ouch! I'm sorry. Is it his latch? I don't really have much advice. See if you can figure out why, take a pain killer and maybe try to nurse more on the other side for now.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Ouch! I'm sorry. Is it his latch? I don't really have much advice. See if you can figure out why, take a pain killer and maybe try to nurse more on the other side for now.
    His latch is not helping but I don't think it's the cause - it's still pretty normal on the other side. I am going to start taking Motrin though. The other side is a lightweight so he gets mad if I only nurse him on that one.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Can you apply a hot compress and maybe it will pop/release? Mine was swollen before and then got a whitehead. My LC said that move was appropriate for my situation. She said that sometimes milk can come out of there/get clogged as well. Fun

If it's already a scab it may have already released some, but I'd apply lanolin and warm compresses directly to the site. And by warm, I mean as warm as you can handle. I've had one that has been clogged/swollen before and it healed after about a week. The only things that helped were anti-inflammatory pain killers (like motrin) and warm compresses while keeping it clean and soft so it didn't keep blistering. If it seems to be getting infected and the redness is spreading, I'd call the doc. Even without a fever you may need more than just pain relief.

Good luck, and so sorry it hurts. Hope you get relief soon.

ETA: Don't squeeze it. At all. Massage, hot compresses, salt water compresses, and rubbing alcohol. NO SQUEEZING. My MW was very firm about this. If it releases on it's own, cool. But don't squeeze.
    Last edited by @llli*aphimama; April 4th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

OK, I will try some warm compresses tonight. It is so bad. I had to cut Jackson off several times today because it was so painful.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

How can you not squeeze? That's like saying don't scratch. It can't be done.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I know, I know.... but supposedly squeezing makes the pain a billion times worse, as well as making it not heal. That said, I'm pretty sure I squeezed. Under the pretense of a really thorough "massage" obviously. Kind of like in Full House when they all got the chicken pox and don't technically "scratch."

ETA: My mw said if it had still been bad by the time she saw me, she would have put me on an antibiotic topical. So fwiw, there are medical treatments if you need to go that route.