Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ABO incompatibility induced jaundice and breastfeeding

Default ABO incompatibility induced jaundice and breastfeeding

Can any body tell me if in this case you're better off not breastfeeding. I just can't think that could be right. I know of a mother who was told to supplement with formular and as you can expect the newborn obviously preferred the easy way to breastmilk after some time combining the two. I find it hard to believe that breastfeeding, if supply is sufficient, is not the best choice for a human baby. How can cow milk be better?? Or is this just another of the mislead information about breastfeeding. This is not my situation it's a friend's cousin who now has passed on to formular. This has happened in Spain just about a month ago.

Default Re: ABO incompatibility induced jaundice and breastfeeding

heres what I found for you in a quick search - I can come back in a few and check for more stuff if this dosen't fully help...baby's "calling"

Try this and this.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I had ABO incompatibility. My son has AB blood and I have O. He was jaundiced a little bit in the hosptial and they kept him an extra day. It took a couple of weeks for him to completely get rid of the bilirubin, but this was made more difficult since he didn't have regular BMs. I was told on day 3 that I should offer him 2oz of formula after nursing to make sure the bili was being pushed out of his system, but my milk came in that same day, so I did not. I do supplement with a formula bottle once a day and my LO is still breastfeeding otherwise...he's seems to prefer the breast thankfully.

Smile Re: ABO incompatibility induced jaundice and breastfeeding

I have dealt with this with both my DD1 and DD2. My DD1 had A+ blood and I'm O+ and she had jaundice for a few days and was kept in the hospital an extra day but did okay. We did supplement with formula but for a different reason, latching difficulties. I ended up stopping BF with her after 2 weeks. This time around the same sort of situation has happened, my DD2 who is a week old now has A+ blood also and also has jaundice. Her bilirubin levels have gone up and she's still being monitored. She's having a lot of trouble getting it out of her system and the latching difficulties are just making it even more difficult. I was never told to supplement with formula for ABO induced jaundice. In fact I was told that frequent BF would do the best job at clearing it. BF at least every 2 hours around the clock. The information I have found on this topic has all said that it's not necessary to stop breastfeeding and actually doesn't help at all.

Hope that helps some!

It is really important to keep nursing when the baby has jaundice. Even one bottle can have adverse effects on a tiny baby, latching issues, supply issues etc... You are right, there is a rare day when breast is not best in almost all situations Brittan-

Collin was slightly jaundiced. It set in at 5 days of age and the pedi. said to bf as much as possible. At his 2 week check, he was still orangey, and the dr said it was probably bm induced jaundice...something in my milk!...but he said to keep bfing and it would eventually resolve itself. And it is. He's still darker in compexion then the rest of us, but actually everybody tells me he has really nice colour! I cant think of ANY time that BM would not be best for the baby...