Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engoregment 12 days after weaning

Default Engoregment 12 days after weaning

I gradually weaned my 14 month old twelve days ago. But, I am engorged, painfully so. I've been trying the cabbage leaf method for three days now to no luck.
    Help! Should I pump one more time and then go to the cabbage leaf trick?

Default Re: Engoregment 12 days after weaning

If you're painfully engorged, you can definitely pump, or better yet hand-exprss. If you pump/express just enough to restore comfort, leaving a significant amount of milk in the breast, your supply will still diminish- just perhaps a bit slower than if you simply put up with the engorgement. How gradually did you wean, mama? Perhaps you went a bit too fast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It took 2.5 months to wean him. It's odd that it's happening now as my daughter self-weaned rather abruptly and I didn't have this issue. I guess I just got lucky with her.
    Thanks for your reply.

Huh, that is odd! Usually when a mom weans over a nice long time period, as you did, engorgement isn't a problem. Drink lots of peppermint tea and try the cabbage leaf in the bra trick. Hopefully this is going to be a one-time issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"