Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still milk left in breast?

Question Still milk left in breast?

I weaned my DS about 2 weeks ago and we did it gradually and we have both adjusted. My left breast is fine and feels normal but my right breast is not engorged, but there is still milk in there. I can feel it's heavy and this morning I was able to hand express some. It's only sore when DS hits it while he's waving his hands around but otherwise it's not a problem.

Is this normal to still have milk after 2 weeks? I'm just worried about plugged ducts or mastitis.
    Wife to Adam 8/31/2008
    Mommy to William 9/30/2011
    Mommy to Tatum and Ellis 8/26/2013

Default Re: Still milk left in breast?

It's totally normal to have milk for weeks, months, or even years after weaning. Often it's just drops, but if you feel like you have a significant amount of milk, it's probably wise to stay alert for plugs and mastitis. I'm not saying that you're definitely going to get either of those things, just that you're probably at higher risk for them than a mom who has minimal milk post-weaning.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was wondering, should I express some of that milk in my R breast? I can't hug anyone without it bothering me and if I just push the areola around my nipple I leak a little.
    Wife to Adam 8/31/2008
    Mommy to William 9/30/2011
    Mommy to Tatum and Ellis 8/26/2013

Leaving it alone will make it dry up faster. Expressing will maintain production. So if you can, leave it. But if it's making you really uncomfortable, feel free to express enough to restore comfort. Your supply will still diminish, just a little slower than if you just put up with the fullness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"