Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scared my milk supply will decrease!

Default Scared my milk supply will decrease!

Hi, i have been successfully breastfeeding my beautiful 2 month old baby girl. In the beginning i had an oversupply so i was doing block feeding. Now it seems that my milk has settled in and most feedings i am doing half and half. However, my baby is now sleeping longer hours at night (usually one 5 hour stretch and 3-4 hours after that). Not only is she sleeping longer hours, but when she wakes up to feed she only eats for about 5-7 minutes on one breast and falls back to sleep. Meaning that the breast she did not feed on can go more than 6 hours without stimulation! Sometimes during the day she has these short feedings as well. I'm really scared this may affect my milk supply. is there something i should do, or will my body adjust and continue producing sufficient amounts of milk for my growing baby?!

Default Re: Scared my milk supply will decrease!

As long as you continue to nurse your baby on demand, increasing the number of feedings or transitioning to feeding on both breeasts if she seems to require it, you're going to be fine! Your body has a very sensitive internal clock that can be trained by nursing to help you make more milk when it is needed, like during the day, and less when it's not, like when baby sleeps through the night.

Don't worry about fast feedings. By a few months old, many babies are capable of getting a full meal in less than 10 minutes at the breast. If you ever have any doubt about your baby's intake, just watch her diapers. If pee is coming out, milk is going in!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

or will my body adjust and continue producing sufficient amounts of milk for my growing baby?!
    It may ease your mind a bit to know that you do not need to keep making more and more milk. One of the cool little known facts about breastfeeding is that milk production volume normally keeps increasing in the early weeks, levels off at about a month, and you will then make about the same amount of milk for as long as your baby exclusively nurses or gets most of their nutrition from breastmilk. In other words, a 6 month old needs about the same amount of breastmilk per day as a 6 week old, it does not have to keep increasing in volume. (But production will go up temporarily during growth spurts-and baby will nurse more at those times in order to ramp up production.)
    Mommal has good suggestions, it sounds like you are doing great! Relax and enjoy your baby.

Thank you for your help. Your feedback definitely helped ease my anxiety!