Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help/Advice - DD has cavities and dentist blames on BM

Default Re: Need Help/Advice - DD has cavities and dentist blames on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    This is NOT what is said by the AAP or the ADA on this subject. The journal Pediatrics published a study that found NO LINK between duration of nursing and cavities, and the ADA has the article about this study on their website. Plus if this dentist sees "lots" of babies who nurse up to or past a year, with or without cavities, I would dearly love to know where you live because someone is doing something right around there with encouraging normal breastfeeding duration.

There is a very good discussion of this issue in the 2010 edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It's important to look at up to date resources (much of what is online is NOT up to date) as the data that night nursing is not to blame and shows night weaning is not needed or helpful in these situations is pretty new. If you don't want to buy the book check with your local LLL or your local library or just go to the bookstore and read the info. Just look up cavities in the index.

There is NO EVIDENCE that breastfeeding at night or any other time causes cavities. A child will be cavity prone due to genetics, nutritional issues that occur when baby is in the womb, and the babies mouth being colonized by "bad' bacteria rather than 'good' bacteria. To try to prevent/lessen the effects of tooth decay, practice good dental hygine (brushing or wiping teeth twice a day, there is no proof that wiping babies teeth down after every nursing session does anything) and avoiding the types of foods that are more apt to cause cavities (sticky and/or sugary.) And yes it is my understanding xylitol may help, that is mentioned in the WAB, but I don't have the book with me right now to see exactly what it says.
    I would really like to speak with you directly if you have any time. I understand myself that its not my milk that is causing this but have NO professionals saying it so far. How can i contact you or do you need my number or something? i hope im not breaking any rules by asking this question.

thank you

Default Re: Need Help/Advice - DD has cavities and dentist blames on

You are very welcome to call me, I will send you a PM. But meanwhile as I stated, there is a study referenced on ADA website and also this info is found in the latest WAB. So, that is all info from professionals. I am a volunteer and most certainly NOT a professional in the medical, dental or even breastfeeding field. I am just repeating the info I see written by professionals who have actually examined this issue scientifically which you can access yourself.

OK here is link to article on ADA website. http://www.ada.org/3143.aspx

It does not specifically address night nursing, but very few babies who continue to nurse past one are not also nursing at night.