Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch! Stuffy nose and nipple biting?

Default Ouch! Stuffy nose and nipple biting?

Suddenly, after 14 1/2 months of nursing, I have some little scrapes at the base of each nipple and pain while nursing. His teeth have been in for a long time but no problems until the last few days. He has had a cold with a stuffy nose so I think it probably has to do with him having difficulty swallowing with his nose clogged up. He nurses much of the night....it's the only way either of us get any sleep. Almost all of his nutrition comes from nursing, and I don't know what to do! I do have some APNO at home (at work right now pumping for the bottle he may or may not take!) that I will try, but how do I get him to stop biting yet still take in enough milk? He's sick a lot, weight on the lower side (0 percentile) so I don't want to discourage nursing. Thanks!

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Default Re: Ouch! Stuffy nose and nipple biting?

Is it just when he unlatches that he scrapes you? I wonder if he has some other teeth coming in too which might be changing up his latch.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My son goes through phases where his latch shifts and I end up feeling sore and looking a bit scraped for a few days while he adjusts. I am not 100% sure why he does this (his twin sister doesn't). When either one of my twins gets sick, sometimes their latch shifts a little to aid in breathing and they move around a bit more during a nursing session.

As much as I hate to say it, for me it just took time to adjust each time my son changed his latch. I would have a few days of pain and then my body would get used to it and we'd go on comfortably again. I hope that it's the same way for you! And I wish that I had more advice to share.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

I can't tell when it's happening, it just started to hurt last night and this morning, and I noticed the scrapes that look a little bloody. When I nursed him this morning at his babysitter's, it hurt the entire time. I do think he's shifted his latch to try to breathe, and with his stuffy nose he sort of slides on and off to take a gulp of air. He's been stuffy many times and although he struggles to nurse, this has never happened. I guess we'll just ride it out and see what adjustments I can make so it's not so uncomfortable...and hope it goes away when he can breathe more comfortably.

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Have you tried positioning him differently? And seeing if you can get him to blow his nose? Your LO is about the age when hubby and I really got the kids to do "bye bye boogies!" where we came up with a little kind of game to get them to help clear their noses. I do know that my twins nurse easier while sitting up when they're sick, so their noses can drain down instead of back into their heads when they lay down to nurse.

I hope that your guy (and you!) feels better soon!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack