Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Balancing work/mothering - can you help this mama? (NB mag)

Default Balancing work/mothering - can you help this mama? (NB mag)

Hi, again, Mamas! I posted the wrong issue's question, so I am posting again, for the one that is due soon. I so appreciate all the wonderful answers you give! You can reply here or send me a private forum message or send your replies to making.it.work@lllusa.org. Please be advised that I am seeking these answers to be published in an upcoming issue of New Beginnings Magazine.

Here is the mother's question:

"My job is demanding and takes so much energy. I care about what I do and don’t want to change jobs, but by the time I come home I am drained. My daughter is five months old and I worry that I am not giving her enough of myself. I’d like to hear about ways that mothers have found to balance work and mothering."

Thanks!
    Winema N. Lanoue
    Contributing Editor
    New Beginnings Magazine
    making.it.work@lllusa.org

Default Re: Balancing work/mothering - can you help this mama? (NB

It is a hard balance. When I have felt overwhelmed, the first thing I do is look and see if there are things that can be simplified. Can you afford to have someone clean house for you, even once a month? Even if you can't there are a lot of suggestions out on the internet on how to clean quickly. Do you plan and shop for meals on the weekends, freeing that time during the week? Shopping can be a family activity; remember being out with a baby will make her happy. Good meal planning can result in healthier yet quicker meals. Are there things that you can have your partner do, so that you have more time with you baby in the evenings? For example, my husband would wash my pump parts while I was nursing after I got home.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I thought I relied to this the other day...is this a repost?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I thought I relied to this the other day...is this a repost?
    Yes - I usually post in 2 or 3 different forum categories! Thanks!

I'm a working momma too, and I find one of the most useful things is to ask myself is "when I'm 80 years old, will I look back and think I was a good momma or gee, I kept a clean house?" I have let lots of things fall to the wayside that would have been important in years past. Let the dust bunnies sleep under the couch, make double dinners so you can do left overs, take help from anyone that offers it, and most importantly: go easy on yourself. We have family dinners every night, even if it's pasta and salad or something super-simple. Lots of things that I would prefer to do myself are now family activities--i.e. grocery shopping, exercising, etc.

I have come to the conclusion after two kids and working fulltime that I am a better momma for leaving the home and coming back to them. I am sainer, nicer, and more inclined to want to spend time with them. I hope that you find your family's balance and your own peace with being a working mom. Best wishes.

Baby-wearing has been an absolute necessity for me. I'm able to get things done around the house, do the shopping, get to appointments, etc., all with my baby snuggled up against me. I never go anywhere without him. I definitely agree that minimizing chores is important, but some things can't be avoided and baby-wearing keeps both my baby and me happy while I get those things done.

Wonderful thoughts, Mamas! Thank you!

I am a Baruch Student doing research on the conflict between breastfeeding and maternal employment. I am interested in an informal discussion with anyone, who is willing to share their experience. I am interested in not only how high-wage but also low-wage mothers were or were not able to continue breastfeeding, company policies and whether or not those policies are used/accepted by co-workers/managers. We can discuss off line if you prefer. Thank you Irene