Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i be worried? pee stinks very strong

Default should i be worried? pee stinks very strong

Hi everyone,

So i have noticed that in the last 4 weeks my dd who is 14 months has really stinky pee. It smells like asparagus pee.

She bf's during the day and all night and she drinks water with a couple of drops of fresh juice sometimes and eats solids throughout the day. Should i be worried? is this something that just happens? i notice when i dont drink enough fluids my pee smells and i am always offering her bm or water but she doesnt always want it.

any thoughts would be helpful. could she be dehydrated everyday? or is it just the food she is eating...

if it is UTI what would this pee smell like and does anyone have natural remedies of treating it.

thanks..

Default Re: should i be worried? pee stinks very strong

I have a hard time getting my toddler to drink sometimes, too. I don't know why. Maybe offer her water-based foods like veggies and fruits to get a little extra fluid in her. Is it smelly all the time or just first thing in the morning?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

you know i think its first thing in the morning.. but i will monitor it today... i dont change her diaper at night so in the morning its just very strong.. but i would have thought all the bfeeding would be making her pee more watered down... not recently though

Well, it is normal for urine to be darker and more concentrated first thing in the morning. If it's not throughout the day I doubt it would be anything like a UTI. Does she nurse during the night? If she doesn't, or has really cut back , that would also make it more concentrated.

What kind of diapers do you use? If it's only the morning diaper that is very strong, it might be the chemicals in the diaper that you are smelling if you use disposables. I noticed a weird smell with regular Huggies that is particularly strong in the morning and lightly there in daytime diapers. I also don't change diapers overnight. I switched to the Huggies Natural Care and don't smell it anymore.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Well, it is normal for urine to be darker and more concentrated first thing in the morning. If it's not throughout the day I doubt it would be anything like a UTI. Does she nurse during the night? If she doesn't, or has really cut back , that would also make it more concentrated.
    yes she cut back a little at night.. well quite a bit , thats true it will be more concentrated... i will definitely keep an eye on it during the day... thanks for that thought.. her first diaper smelt like normal.... phew

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    What kind of diapers do you use? If it's only the morning diaper that is very strong, it might be the chemicals in the diaper that you are smelling if you use disposables. I noticed a weird smell with regular Huggies that is particularly strong in the morning and lightly there in daytime diapers. I also don't change diapers overnight. I switched to the Huggies Natural Care and don't smell it anymore.
    Hi, i use reusable Bum Genius diapers, and i will try switching to another to see if that makes a difference. Thank you

I wouldn't think cloth would have that issue...
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Unless the diapers themselves smell funky, and need to be stripped?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Unless the diapers themselves smell funky, and need to be stripped?
    Yeah diapers can get stinky but I don't think that would be an issue just one diaper a day (first thing in the morning) they woulds stink all the time then.

But if you are concerned about your diapers, I will say I loved hanging mine outside to dry on the clothesline and that really took care of any stains or smells. If you have that option I'd definitely do that.