Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk production for 8 week old NICU baby

Default Low milk production for 8 week old NICU baby

Hi! My I am currently looking for any suggestions to help increase my milk supply. My son was transferred to the NICU after his birth where he remained for 2 1/2 weeks. I pumped during the time he was in the NICU. He was not fed for the first week of life and I gave the nurses all of my pumped milk. He eventually went through all my milk and they started to supplement with formula. The lactation consultant told me that I should be producing 500mL, 2 weeks after birth. I was at 200ml, pumping 8 times a day.

We have now been home for 5 1/2 weeks and I am still supplementing 1 1/2 oz after each time he nurses. I am currently trying to pump after every feeding. I only collect between 7 and 20 ml every time I pump. I started to take Fenugreek 2 1/2 weeks ago with minimal if any results. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would love to discontinue the use of formula!!

Default Re: Low milk production for 8 week old NICU baby

What kind of pump are you using?
    How often are you nursing and pumping?
    Are your horns the right size?
    How much fenugreek are you taking? Have you tried any other herbs?
    What other suggestions has the LC had?
    Could you use an SNS to give supplements at the breast so your breast gets more stimulation?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am using the Pump in Style Advanced now that I am home. While me son was in the NICU I used a hospital grade pump. I haven't seen different results with the different pumps. I nurse about 10-12 times a day and pump around 8 times. I am currently take 1830mg of Fenugreek 3 times a day. I just currently read about other herbs and SNS. The first lactation consultant at the NICU told me that all I should do is keep pumping and that she had no idea why my milk production was low. The consultant at our pediatrician office recommended Feugreek and to pump after every feeding for 5-10 min. I am currently doing 10 min. Thanks for you help!

What happens if you don't supplement but just nurse?

A baby is a much better indicator of supply than any pump. Some moms can't pump anything but if they nurse on demand, they find their supply does better and baby gets it up. Does that make sense?

Have you seen an IBCLC? Not a hospital LC?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!