Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice? Returning to work

Default Advice? Returning to work

I apologize for the long post in advance... I nurse my 12-month old son & I'm anxious about what to do when I return to work in 3 weeks. My son will be at home with either my husband or mom.

Currently he nurses when he wakes up around 7:30am, then ~10:30am, ~1pm, ~4pm, before bed, and 1-2 times overnight. His biggest feed is first thing in the morning. The daytime ones are more like snacks & for comfort. He eats 3 solid meals a day & 1 snack.

My biggest concern is that I'll be gone to work before he wakes up, so I'm going to miss his biggest, best feed. I'm planning to leave a bottle for my hubby/MIL to give him when he wakes up. I will pump that feed instead to maintain my supply. Should they give it when he wakes or try to feed him solids first and then offer the bottle?

For the daytime feeds, I think I've resigned myself to replacing them with solids & regular milk. I'm a bit worried that won't satisfy him & he'll want more breast milk. Iwill have some in the freezer if needed, but do you think he'll just adjust to not nursing?

I'll nurse him when I get home around 4pm, and on demand for the rest of the evening & overnight.

Does this sound like it will work out?

I'm also wondering if I should wean daytime feeds before I go back to work, to make the transition easier on my son so he is used to not nursing during the day. But I'm not trying to wean him entirely so I'm afraid of inadvertently doing that. And the couple days I tried nursing less during the day, he cluster-fed in the evening & woke more overnight.

Default Re: Advice? Returning to work

I don't have any advice about weaning the daytime feeds, but your plan about nursing when you're home is exactly what I did, and my son continued nursing until he self-weaned at 21 months (I quit pumping around 10 months). In my experience, the transition was much harder for me than for him; his dad was with him, and if needed he could bring him to my office to nurse. Is that a possibility for you if needed?

What time are you going to be leaving for work? could you nurse him instead of pumping and just move that first feed earlier?

My baby is 14.5 months old and right now she eats solids and drinks cow's milk during the day at the babysitter four days a week. I nurse her on demand on weekends and evenings/overnight. I haven't needed to wean from day time feedings when we're together. I stopped pumping a few months ago and she hasn't been fussy about lack of milk on weekends. Your supply is really flexible at this point.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

They won't be able to bring him to me during the day but I have a good freezer stash to pull from if needed.

He normally wakes up between 7:30-8:30. I've considered waking him to nurse but I'd have to wake him by at least 6:15 to nurse him instead and 1) I hate to mess with his sleep and 2) I'm afraid of him waking for the day that early.
    Plus he has a pretty consistent feed around 3am, so to wake & feed him again a few hours later, I don't think he'd eat much anyway and that he'd still "need" a bottle around 8am anyway.

I probably wouldn't wake him to nurse either. good luck!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the responses so far! I will keep nursing him as normal then, and see how he adjusts to not nursing while I'm away. I'll let my hubby & mom know to give him extra bottles if he seems to need them. Thank goodness for a good freezer stash to relive some stress!