Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My DD is weaning...

Unhappy My DD is weaning...

My DD is 19 months, and I am 10 weeks pregnant. She has always been a bad sleeper and we co-slept and she nursed all night long. I just couldn't handle it anymore and started....I almost can't say it here....sleep training. Gently, stayed in her room, lots of cuddling, but having her stay in her crib. Also night weaned. I feel horrible about it all and very guilty. But was so tired it was a hard decision that I still struggle with.

I also think my milk is aggressively drying up. DD pops from one breast to the other, asking to nurse and pointing to the other breast.

Last night she asked for a sippy cup of milk instead of nursing, then after drinking all the milk asked to nurse a little, though I'm certain it was just for comfort.

This morning she didn't ask to nurse when I dropped her off at the sitter.

I'm so upset. DH thinks it's great she is weaning, that I need a break between the two babies, and that I did a great job nursing this long. It's just hard. Have been kind of sad all day at work, and am almost tearing up writing this.

I'm sure this is all normal to feel this way, it's just hard. I really had wanted to nurse her for 2 years or more, and let her self-wean, and I know I started the weaning, but things change and we have to go with the flow I guess(pun not intended).

Thanks for listening LLLLadies!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Default Re: My DD is weaning...

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. You are giving her the gift of a sibling.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

mama. Try also to remember that she is self weaning in a way, you are not denying her comfort, it's just a quantity thing right? She still has positive association and seeks your breast for comfort! I nursed throughout my pregnancy and my son definitely ramped it up when my milk came in month 7 or so. Never know...
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for the kind responses. I'm excited for her to have a sibling, she loves playing with her friends and their siblings, so I know she will welcome one. It's just a hard transition, I think mostly for me. Nursing a child is such an amazing experience and such a loving bond. I will miss it with her when it's really over! But I know we will have so many more ways to stay connected, it's just moving on to the next stage in her path of growing up.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

It is hard. You guys will get there. And I agree, nursing a child is a wonderful experience.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

That moving-on point is hard. But it's going to be okay. FWIW, I look at my firstborn, who is now 6, and I don't really miss nursing her. I miss her as a baby, and I dearly wish I had put aside a few hours of her babyhood, so I could revisit them. But I don't really miss the nursing any more than I miss the diaper changes or the spit-ups or the nightly bath... Maybe that's because I'm still nursing my second daughter, and I'll feel more sadness when my career as a nursing mom ends completely.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"