Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning

Default Pump weaning

My DD will be 1 YO on 4/4. To this point, I have been pumping 3x daily at work (8:30AM, 12:00Noon, and 3:00PM). I almost always have more than enough milk to cover the 3 x 4oz yield that I need. I often have one extra in fact. If I skip the Noon session and move the 3PM to 2PM, should I still be able to get enough for her without risking major engorgement and/or hurting my supply? I still plan to nurse her in the morning before work, when I get home and before bed, plus as often as she wants on weekends. I don't want to wean her, but would like to have my lunch hour back now that the weather is getting nice again. Thoughts? Suggestions? DD is eating 2-3 small meals a day, but still seems to like nursing best.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Default Re: Pump weaning

In my experience, going down from 3 sessions to 2 and even from 2 to 1 didn't change my supply very much at all. Also, my daughter day weaned herself spontaneously at about 13 months and 2 weeks, so there was no need to send milk to day care after that...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Thanks! I am hoping she wants to keep it up for a while longer, but we'll see. She's teething a LOT right now and has bit me once or twice....
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marley-n-emily View Post
    In my experience, going down from 3 sessions to 2 and even from 2 to 1 didn't change my supply very much at all. Also, my daughter day weaned herself spontaneously at about 13 months and 2 weeks, so there was no need to send milk to day care after that...

I pump weaned entirely at 1 year. I had switched from 2 to 1 pumping at the first of the year. Glowworm had dropped to two bottles at about that time. He still nurses in the evening and morning and on the weekends. I had a fairly sizeable freezer stash, so he is just now transitioning to cow's milk. We also switched to sippy cups at one year.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks! DD still takes 3 bottles a day, sometimes 4 with about 4 ounces in each. She's also eating 2-3 small meals, after she has a bottle. I did pump only at 8:30 & 2PM today and still got 13oz between the 2 sessions so I am going to try it again tomorrow and see what happens. Appreciate the responses/support!!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    I pump weaned entirely at 1 year. I had switched from 2 to 1 pumping at the first of the year. Glowworm had dropped to two bottles at about that time. He still nurses in the evening and morning and on the weekends. I had a fairly sizeable freezer stash, so he is just now transitioning to cow's milk. We also switched to sippy cups at one year.

At 1 y/o, I went from 4-5 pump sessions down to just one. I also decided that DS would only get one sippy cup (about 5 ounces) of breastmilk at daycare, and the other two cups are of water and soy milk. So far, my supply seems fine for when we are nursing together and I haven't been engorged at work. Good luck!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

I am leery to start her on any other milk because of family history of food allergies, so I will be holding off on anything else besides water for a few more weeks, I think. I have been giving her sippy cups at daycare, just need to get daddy to do it when he watches her on Mondays & Fridays. He's concerned about getting separated milk re-incorporated so he's still warming in the bottle and I told him just to warm it SLIGHTLY (under water in tap) in bottle then transfer to sippy cup. We are actually using only straw cups, no "sippies". Going to try a few "big girl" cups after Wednesday, too. Like OXO tot training cup & Sassy Grow-Up no spill cup
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    At 1 y/o, I went from 4-5 pump sessions down to just one. I also decided that DS would only get one sippy cup (about 5 ounces) of breastmilk at daycare, and the other two cups are of water and soy milk. So far, my supply seems fine for when we are nursing together and I haven't been engorged at work. Good luck!

off topic... why isn't my profile picture showing the new one I uploaded today?
    any ideas?