Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating without a pump?

Default Relactating without a pump?

Okay, so I rented a hospital grade pump and it just didn't do anything for me. I am looking at buying a Lact-aid SNS instead and just putting baby to the breast as often as possible (ie her using me instead of a pacifier)... Can I relactate that way? Effectively? Or do I NEED to pump?

I started relactating a few weeks ago and had to put it on hold, as my depression came back in full force (seems to be triggered by the breastfeeding and goes away a while after I stop...) but I'm planning to talk to a Dr shortly to get a prescription that I can fill if need be (though I'd prefer not to take anything while breastfeeding..).. At that time, I was putting baby to the breast before every feed, took some fenugreek and upped my water intake. I was using the hospital grade breastpump occasionally, but it just didn't seem to be helping much... I saw an increase JUST from baby and supplements/extra water. Can I get a full supply back that way, or is the pump along with that, a necessity?

(P.S Sorry for all the posts.. :S)
    Charlotte~British Expat, Wife of Alex & Mama of Evelyn (21st June 2010) and Audrey (30th January 2012)

Default Re: Relactating without a pump?

Oh, I should also add; I could never hand express with my DD (never figured out how or didn't respond I have no idea) but I can do that this time! So I'd be doing that as well.
    Charlotte~British Expat, Wife of Alex & Mama of Evelyn (21st June 2010) and Audrey (30th January 2012)

And to add again; I am now TERRIFIED of nursing... Because of the depression. It literally took two days of putting baby to the breast etc for the depression to start coming back and within another few days I was completely done in by it again. 2 weeks later (I think?) and I feel mostly normal again... Can I get anti-depressants from a walk-in clinic, or is this something more complicated that they would want me to go to a regular Dr's practice for? Just wanting thoughts on that, because I really don't want to make an appointment (just the thought gives me a panic attack) but a walk-in clinic, where I can spur of the moment go in there, seems more 'manageable'...

You can relactate with just the baby providing stimulation, provided the baby is willing to nurse well when at the breast and not just give a few gentle sucks for comfort. If a little gentle, non-nutritive suckling is all baby is doing, the process is going to take much longer and may not be successful.

Relactation will go faster if you use both baby and pump. Every bit of additional stimulation counts in favor of restoring milk supply.

I don't know that a walk-in clinic would prescribe antidepressants but it cannot hurt to try. However, if you are struggling with depression I think it makes sense to see a regular doctor, because you're going to want to have a caregiver who knows you and your issues and can tweak your meds or the dosage if necessary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If your baby is willing to nurse and nurse a lot, and you can stand to nurse all.day.long, you can. But if baby won't nurse, or you can't nurse as much as it takes, you need a pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!