Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about my supply

Default Worried about my supply

I don't know if it's in my head or for real. My girl comes to work with me two days a week and the other three she's with her grandmothers and her dad. I pump when she's not with me and after she goes to sleep most nights, but I never seem to have enough. They always run out of milk and have to run her back to me. My daughter is 4.5 months old. She's not a buddha baby. About two weeks ago she was 13lb 2oz, I was a lean baby too.

I'm taking motherlove more milk plus, eating oatmeal, asparagus, putting the baby to the breast every chance I get. She started sleeping through the night early. I really don't want to wake her or to get up in the middle of the night.

She goes to sleep around 7 pm (right after nursing), I pump around 10 or 11, she's up around 5 to nurse and then back to sleep until 7 when she nurses again. Then she nurses frequently throughout the day. She's taken to only taking catnaps (20-40 minutes) and nursing every hour and a half or so.

When I pump at night or when I'm at work without her, I only get 2-3oz per session after pumping both breasts simultaneously for around 15-20 minutes. Is this normal? I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Am I making enough breastmilk? Should I look into domperidone? Should I try supplementing with formula? Is my girl getting enough? Thanks so much!

Default Re: Worried about my supply

I really don't want to wake her or to get up in the middle of the night.
    If you really have low milk supply, this would probably be the best way to help it. (sorry!) It won't hurt your baby to be encouraged to nurse at night. You could consider some form of co-sleeping (sleeping in close proximity) & nursing in a side lying position so you do not need to get up. And/or you could nurse right before you go to sleep instead of pumping. A 10 hour stretch of sleep is about twice as long as you would normally expect at this age. (“Sleeping through the night” for a baby is defined as a 5 hour stretch.) Great you are pumping once during that time, that certainly helps from a milk supply standpoint, but I am sure you are aware that nursing is more effective than pumping in maintaining milk supply, plus if you nursed that would be more milk for baby over that long stretch.

When I pump at night or when I'm at work without her, I only get 2-3oz per session after pumping both breasts simultaneously for around 15-20 minutes. Is this normal?
    Yes. You could consider troubleshooting your pump to try to improve performance, but this is a normal per session pumping output.

Here is the thing-you may have fine milk supply. I can't tell from what you have posted, pump output tells us nothing about supply, and lots of moms think they have low supply at around this age and they are fine. Also, lots of babies are inadvertently overfed with bottles by their caregivers and that is why they run out of milk (see paced bottle feeding link & milk calculator link below) BUT…

When there are low supply issues arising at this age, it is often caused by 1) long sleep stretches at night and/or 2) regular separations. Even when mom is pumping regularly at work, it does not have the same effect as a baby nursing regularly for the average mom. Some moms have tremendous supply and these things do not affect them so much, but others with normal supply may struggle with low milk supply issues when they go back to work and/or baby starts having a long sleep stretch.

See:

What to expect when pumping: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...-when-pumping/

How much expressed milk does baby need? http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Bottle feeding the breastfed baby (prevents overfeeding as well as helping with other issues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Low milk supply: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/