Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advice!!!

Default Need Advice!!!

Hello everyone I have an 8 month old son who has been breastfed since he was born. I dont intend to stop breastfeeding for a while, but I want to start going to the gym regularly which would probably mean leaving my son for a few hours. I nurse my son regularly every 2-3 hours give or take. I want to be able to go to the gym regularly without worrying that my son isnt getting all he needs. Ive tried introducing a bottle to him with some formula but he doesnt have a clue what a bottle is. All he does is chew on it. He eats baby foods, but never really eats to much of it. All I need is about 4 hours or so out of the day to go to the gym then be back to my son to nurse. I will be grateful for any advice. Thank you so much

Default Re: Need Advice!!!

At 8 months I'd try a sippy cup or a straw there's really no reason to ntroduce a bottle if he dosnt know what one is. Also is there anyway you can express some milk for him? I imagine formula is pretty bland for a LO that's always had the good stuff.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

You go to the gym for 4 hours a day?!? Does your gym have a daycare? If you are away from him longer than you usually go between nursing, then have someone give him a bottle while you are gone, you may become uncomfortably full. Especially formula. He will be fuller longer than he would be on breastmilk. It just doesn't break down as quickly and easily as human milk. Can you spend less time at the gym? Nurse before you leave and right when you get back.

Welcome! I am that you would do well to find a way to either a) bring baby with you to the gym or b) spend less time there or c) find a way to express some milk during your time at the gym so baby can have the good stuff instead of formula- and he can have it in a sippy or from a cup if he isn't into bottles.

4 hours at the gym is... A lot. If you were working full-time, we'd probably advise you to pump every 3 hours. Can you take a 2 hour trip to the gym and then take baby in a jogging stroller for an hour? It's pretty easy to stop the stroller and nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Can you pump? And feed him your pumped milk and start with 2-3hours away?

Way too lazy for formula