Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crying while nursing

Default Crying while nursing

So he's started this new thing where he will nurse for a few minutes and then start crying. He may continue to nurse, or he might continue crying. We've tried nux vomica in the chance of silent reflux and chamomilla as well. Neither seems to have worked, or it's not reflux and something else. Our lactation consultant suggested that he likes the heavier flow or the let down and gets frustrated when it slows. I do breast compressions for that, and he sometimes seems more satisfied. But when he does let out a cry while nursing, he looks like he is in pain, and I'm not sure what's causing it. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Crying while nursing

Is it more on one side than the other? And has he had any sort of cold? I took DD2 in to the doctor because nothing I did for flow helped, and it was more consistently one side. Turned out she had an ear infection. It's unlikely, but if you've ruled everything else out it may be worth considering. Otherwise maybe just gas pains from the milk starting to settle? An extra burp here and there may help rather than just at the end of a feeding?

Does your breast get very soft while nursing? I discovered that my lo gets frustrated as my breast softens quickly (due to forceful letdown) and he is happier when I hold it in a c or u grip so that the part he latches onto still feels firm. Might be worth trying.

He cries on both sides. He has not had a cold, but he has had some congestion. My husband and I both have allergies, and spring has hit with full force. Is it possible for a 4 wk old to have allergies? I have taken to burping him more often, and sometimes it helps. Other times, it doesn't seem to matter. My breast gets soft when it's empty (or near empty). We've tried the c and u hold, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It's not all the time that he cries but more in the evening time at the end of his cluster feeding before bed.

Sounds to me like a bit of a gassy phase that will pass in time as his digestive system starts to work better ... just before bedtime is the hardest.

That said, have you checked to see if the position might be making him uncomfortable? I know it sounds silly, but my LO did the same thing (nursing contently, then open up, wail for a minute, then go back to nursing). Turns out she was sticking a hand or a foot into an awkward place and I was putting extra pressure on it shifting around to drink water or pick up a book. Not pinching her mind you, she was just mad about being uncomfortable for a minute. I now watch all four limbs and sometimes relocate an arm with a mind of its own to a better place.

I hope this doesn't sound dismissive, but if it is in the evening as part of cluster-feeding, it is very possible that it is just a fussy, tired part of the day. I We call it the "witching hour" at our house: a baby crying for no reason that we can figure out or fix, and it is typically in the evening, when baby is very tired, possibly overstimulated from the day, maybe wanting to sleep but unable, or possibly needing to sleep but not wanting to miss anything. It can be very freeing to consider our role as staying present and loving while our babies are working out their world, rather than our role being to fix everything for them.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    It can be very freeing to consider our role as staying present and loving while our babies are working out their world, rather than our role being to fix everything for them.
    x 1,000,000,000

I will admit that I have been wondering if he has just been overtired. I know that's how kids can be when they are tired and don't want to go to sleep. The only thing that hasn't been adding up is when he cries, it's like something hurts. I'll check his positioning tonight, but I don't think he's putting anything in strange positions. Thanks for the suggestions. It's always nice to hear other thoughts and feels better knowing others think similarly.

I was actually just about to post this but saw your post:

"So for the last few days, baby gets really fussy occasionally at the breast. My midwives told me it was a growth spurt, but really? I don't understand why a growth spurt would want to make her so unbearably frustrating. It doesn't happen at every feeding, but occasionally I will put on on the breast knowing she's hungry (rooting like crazy) and as soon as she realizes she's relaxed, she'll freak out and start kicking and punching and she'll latch off and start moving her head around where she knows there's no boob and then she starts crying and looking for the boob again. She'll do this off and on for an hour until I can't take it anymore and try to distract her. Is she really starving or is she just tired and fighting sleep? I have no idea. Right now, I just took her off because of this and now she's sitting in her rocker staring at the fan perfectly content. I don't understand why she acted so hungry and now she's fine. Anyone else experiencing this? She's six weeks old right now. If this keeps happening I'm going to go absolutely crazy. It's like she hates being relaxed or something. Urggg.

OH, and if I take her off and put her on my shoulder she'll start sucking on her hand..I don't understand why hand is better than my boob? "

Is this what you're experiencing? Because I'm confused and would also like some answers!

Hi there! Very very Similar situation here! Seems to happen mostly around the 5 o'clock pm feed. Lo feeds like mad for a few minutes , takes himself on and off, punches, seems to get frustrated... I have been feeding from one breast only at a time as I had oversupply ( flow is still crazy at times spraying my baby)but I think I am starting to regulate. So tried offering other breast but he licks it or play with it and finally pulls a face as if to say " yuk this is disgusting mum!!!" and doesnt take it. Same thing i end up "closing the milk shop" and play with him to distract him. He is 7 weeks old. If anyone knows what's happening I d love a solution! Thank you