Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What bottle is best for a breastfed baby on strike

Default Re: What bottle is best for a breastfed baby on strike

What about Tommee Tippee? The nipple is shorter so maybe she won't chew on it.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Also don't forget it makes a difference how bottles are given. See http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pizanite View Post
    I found one to borrow. She wouldn't take it, but I need to read that article llli*lllmeg posted about. My husband is going to try to give her one of freshly expressed milk when she wakes up. I think I also have that soapy taste to my milk after it's been expressed for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pizanite View Post
    She hadn't nursed in 6 hours and finally took about 2 oz. from one of these! I was both happy and heartbroken. And I felt a li'l like I was writing with my left hand feeding my baby with a bottle. (I'm a righty)

But now when I can't nurse her in her sleep I can feed her a bottle of expressed milk anyway. Still sad. Wish she would just nurse.

A baby that young who is striking can be fed entirely at the breast. You said that your baby will still nurse when sleeping. And at 4months isn't she still taking two naps a day? If so if you nurse her once during each nap and to sleep or right when she goes to sleep a couple time during the night that should equal 6 feeds at least. In 24hours that's enough. And it will be 7-8 if she is still taking three naps a day. When you said she hadn;t nurse in 6hours, why is that? Was she awake for 6hours?

Way too lazy for formula

I don't understand - is she striking bottles while you are working, or is she not nursing so you want to give her a bottle? Do you think she might have an ear infection? That has been the only time either one of my girls has refused to nurse - during an ear infection.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I don't understand - is she striking bottles while you are working, or is she not nursing so you want to give her a bottle? Do you think she might have an ear infection? That has been the only time either one of my girls has refused to nurse - during an ear infection.
    No, she's been striking since February 1st when she began sucking her thumb AND she had a sore throat due to reflux, virus or something. I put too much pressure on her and was FREAKING out. I also have OALD and back then OS. Now I think I'm regulated. But the strike may have been caused by the OALD and maybe the reflux was too. She'll nurse in her sleep. She used to nurse when she was drifting off to sleep or as she was waking up, but not anymore. So after she falls asleep I nurse her during the day. But sometimes she's hungry and alert and I offer and she freaks, arches her back, cries, etc., so the bottle is for those times I need to get milk into her. I've been syringe feeding for the last 2 months. Her weight gain was very slow. Starting to make the IBCLC worry. They were talking about me needing to talk to my pedi. Funny thing tho, my pedi is not worried. Only me and some of my family members. My 1st baby was a huge chubber with rolls everywhere. My new baby is petite with small features and is VERY active. Never stops moving. Has two settings: high and off. Honest!! She's gained 5 lbs since her lowest weight. She is 4 months old and meeting all her milestones. I am a naturally very thin person. I'm 114 lbs and I'm 5'6". My brain and the pedi tell me this, but no matter what, I am still comparing her to my 1st baby and other 4 month olds. Also, we were weighing her once a week when she began striking and that was unnerving. It was making me worry more I think. And even the IBCLC agreed they were worrying more weighing her each week.

And then she got RSV March 19, so we lost some of our progress we made. I actually feel as if we lost all the progress and more. :/ But now she's older and I'm not so worried about giving her bottles. She still doesn't take much from them, so I will still nurse her in her sleep as soon as I think she's been asleep long enough to move. She was too hyper to cupfeed.

And we started her on some zantac because she's just always unsettled. We think she has silent reflux. The arching her back, etc. And my boobs are still spraying. She even cries when I lay her down to change her diaper. She gets stiff as soon as ANYONE lays her down in a cradle position.

And she actually had a recheck last week on her ears because pedi said kids often get ear infections after RSV and her ears look good.

She is still striking either because of the reflux, my spraying, or because I put too much pressure on her back when she 1st started refusing. I got some bad advice I think. Someone told me to offer every hour and to treat this as any other parenting decision. I'm the mom and I'm in charge. Let her get mad if need be. So I did. I let her get mad. And now she hates nursing. They also advised that syringe feeding might make her lazy. But I thought it was the less evil between that and bottles. But I stopped the syringe feeds. So she honestly went a little while not getting enough. This person is a good friend and I think what she did worked for her baby okay, but not mine. :/

So... hence the bottles.

Sorry you're going through this. I'm not trying to question you, just thought I'd throw out the ear infection thing just in case.

Good luck!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    A baby that young who is striking can be fed entirely at the breast. You said that your baby will still nurse when sleeping. And at 4months isn't she still taking two naps a day? If so if you nurse her once during each nap and to sleep or right when she goes to sleep a couple time during the night that should equal 6 feeds at least. In 24hours that's enough. And it will be 7-8 if she is still taking three naps a day. When you said she hadn;t nurse in 6hours, why is that? Was she awake for 6hours?
    She takes prolly three naps a day. She won't nurse to sleep. I'm serious when I say she freaks. If I could post a video I would. And I've read all that stuff about "seducing" them back to the breast and not letting them get mad. I've been doing this for two months. I feel like I've tried everything. As soon as she shows the slightest bit of resistance, I stop and make a decision. If she's close enough to naptime and she's not too mad to go, then I lay her down, she sucks her thumb to sleep. And then I wait a little while and then nurse her in her sleep. Or I put her down to play or suck her thumb while I pump a bottle. I was syringe feeding her, but she loses interest in it and won't really swallow it unless she's got her thumb in there and I can insert the syringe at the same time. I've wondered if she thinks milk comes from her thumb.

Sometimes, she wakes up while she's nursing and gives me this incredulous look, pops off and inserts her thumb and puts herself back to sleep. That's what happened the other day. She kept waking up, so not only was she not getting enough milk, and only foremilk, but she didn't get enough sleep either. So she got a few catnaps.

I always hear something different about the number of feedings they need. She hasn't nursed normally in two months so I don't really know what her habits are as a four month old. I wait until she's chomping her hand and wiggling around, breathing fast, maybe even squealing just a little. But of course if she's asleep I just nurse her. The IBCLC had me feeling like I wasn't reading her cues right. Most times, I hear that 4 month olds nurse every two hours during the day. To me that's like 8 to 8, so that's 6 feedings and then at least one at night. My LLL leader said not to let her go more than 4 hours at night.

Sometimes even at night, she pops off after my milk letsdown. It's still pretty strong I think. I was doing blockfeeding but I almost felt like it was getting worse, like more pressure was building up.

Just now, she only took an ounce from the bottle. But she was sleepy, so she's napping now.

I would love your thoughts. I feel like I've exhausted everyone I know IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Sorry you're going through this. I'm not trying to question you, just thought I'd throw out the ear infection thing just in case.

Good luck!!
    No, totally THANK YOU. I would appreciate any thoughts or questions. I was even wondering if she could have thrush at the very back of her throat or something. I keep thinking I'm missing something that's causing her genuine pain and not just fear. So questions are fine.