Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long do I have to pump?

Default How long do I have to pump?

Hello ladies I have been back at work now for about 2 months and so far so good, but I have a couple of quick questions.

How many minutes do I need to pump at each session while at work to maintain my supply?

On days that I work during the day, I pump at 9:45, 1 and 4, and then nurse when I get home around 6:45. I generally get about 3-5 ounces within about 6 or 7 minutes of pumping. I was wondering if I need to continue to pump for another 5 or 6 minutes or can I stop when I get what I need if the milk has stopped flowing?

Thank you!

Default Re: How long do I have to pump?

That's such an individual question. If you get all you need in that time, you're sure you are drained and there's no shortage for your baby's needs then you're good. Some women need to pump for longer. For me I need to pump more often but can get what I need in 6-8 minutes. I would usually go a few minutes after the milk stops just to push it, but that's me. Keep an eye on it and adjust to your babys needs.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

If that is working well for you I wouldn't change it I usually get between 4-5 oz in about 8-9 minutes, and stop after a few compressions. I think if you go more, you may end up producing more, which sounds great at first until you get to deal with oversupply/imbalance issues (which is what I've been dealing with lately).

If you're having trouble keeping up with baby, that's different. If this routine has been working well for two months and everything is in balance... keep the routine

As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" If what you are doing is providing for your LO, then it works. With DD and DS2 pumping until the milk stopped flowing worked fine. I had supply problems with DS2 that might have been helped with extended pumping, but I can't go back and change it. I pumped fast as well.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting