Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I introduce the cup early and ditch the bottle?

Default Should I introduce the cup early and ditch the bottle?

I exculsively breastfeed and my 3 month old has just started taking a bottle a few times a week. He seems to be doing well switching back to breast. I do not return to work until he is 4 1/2 months when he will be in daycare. The doc says to introduce solids at 4 months. If I can get him on a cup at that time as well, would it be easier to keep him on cup/breast, and to take the bottle away? I'm not sure if there is any benefit to keeping him on a bottle longer.

Default Re: Should I introduce the cup early and ditch the bottle?

I don't think it's a problem to keep your baby on the bottle for a while longer. As long as he's getting breastmilk, it doesn't much matter the method which he's gets it. And if your talking about a sippy cup, babies don't really get how to use them until they are a bit older. And you might want to hold off on starting solids until around 6 months. The AAP and many other groups recommend babies being exclusively breastfed until age 6 months. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

thanks for the advice. Maybe I should post this somewhere else, but when he is taking the bottle (both playtex naturalatch slow flow and gerber comfort latch slow flow) how fast should he be drinking? Given he takes both fine, the playtex one takes A LOT longer to finish and sometimes doesn't finish 3 oz, whereas the gerber one he has completely gone in about 8 minutes. I want to keep breastfeeding, which is the better choice in this case?

MamaG, the slower flow bottles are always better. It means that your baby will be taking less from the bottle, and will want to nurse more when you're together. Sometimes, a baby who takes a faster-flow bottle nipple will start to get impatient when breastfeeding, as mother's breasts don't always flow as fast. For this reason, as well, it's better to keep baby on the slower flow bottle nipples.

Your baby is probably ready to try a cup as well. You'll have to help hold the cup, and teach baby to suck from it. Some mothers find that it's easier to teach baby to use a sippy cup if you take the valve out first. It's messier, but easier for baby to learn. You can also start using an open-top cup if you prefer. You'll still need to help baby hold it and regulate the flow.

Would you consider waiting longer than four months old to start solids? Recommending starting solids at 4mos is outdated advice; the American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization recommend that solids wait until "about the middle of the first year, or when baby shows signs of needing solids". For a more in-depth discussion of solids, http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon View Post
    Would you consider waiting longer than four months old to start solids? Recommending starting solids at 4mos is outdated advice; the American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization recommend that solids wait until "about the middle of the first year, or when baby shows signs of needing solids". For a more in-depth discussion of solids, http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html
    Do you also mean to wait to start mixing some of that rice cereal in with the breastmilk? I was on this type of mixture when I was just 8 weeks old, so I hear mixed stories from my mother and then from my own research. Thank you for the advice and the resource to check out!!!