Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 26 month old son nursing ALL.THE.TIME????

Default 26 month old son nursing ALL.THE.TIME????

So a little back story. I've co-slept with my son since birth, which I enjoy, and we all get sleep. We had a stint when he was 20-24 months old when he slept in his bed for about 5 hours then came to bed with us. I've always nursed on demand, and still do to this day. I don't normally mind it, but over the past few weeks he's wanted to "snuggle babas" and nurse pretty much once an hour all day, and then at night he's nursing enough to keep me waking up every few hours; when he wants to switch sides and all.

I'm slowly starting to lose it. I can't get anything done, he's constantly fussing that he wants to nurse, and I just need relief from this. I honestly figured before I had my son that we'd be done nursing before 2 years old, but learned I wanted to let him self wean. I'm totally fine with nursing, and proud to do so, but why is he wanting this all the time?? Is this the "back to baby phase?" that our pediatrician described?? I'm so confused and tired ......help!!!
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

Default Re: 26 month old son nursing ALL.THE.TIME????

Is he getting his 2 year molars or working on a developmental milestone? I found with my son that when he was teething, he REALLY wanted the comfort of nursing. And frequently, when he was working on a milestone (especially one related to independence from me), he needed to check in with the nursies a lot more frequently. Hang in there. It really won't be like that forever! But that pattern may come and go a few times as he grows.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I can relate mama. My son just turned 3 and sometimes it feels like he nurses as often as an infant...even though the nursing sessions last less than 5 minutes. I have found that distraction helps a lot. If we're not home, he really couldn't care less about nursing. So, I think part of it is nursing out of boredom. Could your son be doing that too?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Boredom could be that since we've been staying home a lot more to save money/pay off our nasty debt. I didn't think about the teething part. I've just gotten done with a huge bout of being really distant and almost depressed for a good month so maybe it's more validation for him. I was pushing my son and husband away a lot and I couldn't help it, my mind wouldn't allow me to feel much at all. Luckily everything is ok now, and he's been nuursing a ton for a few solid weeks now. I assume this, teamed with boredom, and possible teething would make for one snuggly baby. Thanks for the advice ladies, it always helps to know I'm not the only one out there and this support helps A TON! THANKS!
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

My daughter is pretty close in age, she was born 1/25/10 and she wants to nurse ALL OF THE TIME as well. We bed share but nightweaned at 18 months because I was becoming an extra terrestrial being due to lack of sleep. I am pretty firm with that so she doesn't nurse at night at all, but otherwise she wants boobie constantly. There was a time around 18 months she seemed like she was weaning, but then slowly came back with a vengeance and now she is an addict. I just wanted to tell you that I feel your pain. I actually just found out I am pregnant again and don't know how this is all going to work out. I plan on nursing as long as my nipples can stand it. So wish me luck!
    exclusively ,We and and eager to learn more!