Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD & baby not taking bottle..

Default OALD & baby not taking bottle..

Hi Mommas!

My 3 month old is exclusively breastfed and we are now trying to introduce a bottle for occasional uses. I have OALD/OS and she has FINALLY been able to take the letdown without fussing..yay! My DH has tried a few times now to offer her the bottle and she will start to suck for a minute or two then starting crying and gets all worked up that he can't get her to latch on again. My question to you ladies is could the slow flow nipple on the bottle be causing her frustration? Just curious since when she nurses at my breast I can hear her gulp and take in the milk pretty fast from the OALD. She usually nurses for about 5 minutes on one side per feeding and is satisfied. Could I use a nipple for older babies that has more of a flow like my nipple? Confused and really would like her to take a bottle so my DH and I can have our date nights back!!

Thanks!

Default Re: OALD & baby not taking bottle..

I actually have this same question.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

One of mine would refuse a bottle for this reason. We tried different brands until we found one he took, but that was still under duress. And he graduated very quickly to a sippy cup. Like at 4-5 months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

What Sippy would you recommend?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Bump** This was my exact question. Thanks to those who posted. Interested to hear from others with experience with OALD and bottles. Did anyone find that a faster flow nipple worked better? Any Sippy recommendations? How young can a sippy cup be tried?

I don't have experience with this but I would suggest maybe trying a faster flow nipple but bottle feeding in a breastfeeding supportive way. See: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf