Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about weight

Default Worried about weight

My DD will be 8 months on the 11 of April and is about 15.5 lbs and 27 incoes long. She was full term and 7.3 lbs. She has gained at the same rate since begonning.

She nurses on demand, naps well and is a happy baby.

I can bring her to work 4 days a week and her eating times are not always consistant. I do a combo of BLW and spoon feeding. BLW is much easier when I'm home.

Ped is not concerned but she's not very hands on either.

Is tough not to compare to other babies but her head and overall frame looks so much smaller than other 8 month olds. And worse people are always saying it. Ugh. But if she were hungry wouldn't she be crabby?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Worried about weight

If the doctor isn't concerned I wouldn't worry. I get the same comments all the time about my DD. She's just small. People come in various sizes, I don't know why people always think they need to comment on it. What do you mean when you say that she's not very hands on?

Not to worry, mama! Your LO is fine! She's nicely on the chart- see http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growth-bfgirl.gif- not dropping off or something that would be worrisome. She is in the bottom half of the chart, to be sure, but there's nothing wrong with that! Healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes, and statistically speaking there are just as many healthy babies in the 1st %ile as in the 99th, just as many in the 25th as in the 75th.

Don't worry about what other babies look like or take people's comments about your baby being small to heart. In my experience, people always say one of two things when looking at a baby, either "She's so big!" or "She's so small!" I have gotten both comments on the same day about my girls, who were gigantic. Granny #1 leans over the shopping cart and says "Oh my goodness, she looks so tiny for a 4 month old" and two aisles later a different granny leans over and says "Wow, she's so big for just 4 months!". I just laughed and moved on.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hands off on tge sense that she mainly looks at tge baby. She's mot obsessed with the scale. Thanks for you responses. I always think when did the fat baby brome the standard of healthy baby for some. Ugh.